Polluted Gomti river prevents devotees from taking a dip on Makar Sankranti
Many devotees returned without taking a holy dip in Gomti river on MakarSankranti on Monday because of pollution in the river.
The pollution of the river which is Lucknow’s lifeline, has been rising with garbage piled up from Kudiya Ghat to Tulsi Ghat through which the river flows.
“People throw flowers etc in river even though government has asked us not to. The government should have cleaned it ahead of Makar Sankranti,” a devotee said.
Expressing disappointment, a local resident Vishal Rastogi, took a swipe at the government saying, “There is a dire need for the state government to come up with a solution soon to clean the Gomti river. The water of this river has turned dark. Merely giving speeches on cleanliness drive is not enough.”
Another resident, Shailesh Kumar, told ANI: “Earlier 7000 to 8000 people used to come every year here to perform rituals. After the river got polluted, all of us have stopped coming here. The government must do something about it. Earlier people used to come here for boating. However, the leisure activity has been stopped due to the presence of toxins in the water.”
The river which plays a major role in Hindu rituals, but there is no fresh water flow into it due to the presence of plastic waste.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- IndiGo said the passenger could not be revived and was declared dead on arrival by the airport medical team
- The court observed that there was a possibility that the mother could be convicted and the adverse impact of the event, if it were to come to pass, would far outweigh the transitory benefit the minor would derive from her mother's care and company.
- The new BJP office in Varanasi was built in about two year’s time at an estimated cost of around ₹6 crore, said a party leader.
- In a tweet, Akhilesh said that shifting of the lions was an attempt to kill the tourism industry in Etawah.
- Neeraj Kundan also lauded NSUI for winning two important posts in the recently held student union’s election at Kashi Vidyapeeth.
- Instructions have been given to the tourism department officials to prepare the detailed project report for the tent city in Varanasi.