Maximalism and minimalism: Trends in home decor that will rule 2020
The ‘less is more’ and ‘more is more’ concepts are both gaining prominence across fashion hubs and homes across the world.
While minimalism values clean lines, neutral tones and clutter-free homes, a concoction of bright colours and bold patterns is a classic representation of a maximalist home. However, both kinds, if curated well, are the epitome of eclectic design and panache.
Are you a maximalist at heart? Maybe you’re a simplistic minimalist? Or are you a combination of the two? Fret not, Saloni Khosla, Head of Bespoke, Pepperfry and Manjari Upadhye, CEO, Domestic Retail Business, Welspun India Ltd will help you in curating a magnificent yet clutter-free den, no matter your type with these useful tips. Read on!
Commit to one wall
When painting the living room ditch the white and neutral tones and instead pick a statement wall where you can incorporate off-beat textures, designs and set that off with a whitewashed set up across the room. Opt for radiant hues or jewel tones or entrancing tile design or eccentric wallpaper or add some verdant finesse to the wall with a vertical garden. You can also curate a ‘walk down the memory lane’ set up in your living room by adorning the accent wall with Polaroid photos of your favourite memories.
Unveil the coveted decor
It is time to celebrate and draw some inspiration from both ends of the spectrum by displaying your antique décor, whether it is a trove of old books or a collection of Italian dishes and grungy brass vases. Use these to ornate your console tables and display units. You can also create a Pinterest-ic set up by adding an old ladder to space.
Till tile do us part
Introduce the bursting-at-the-seams maximalism style with unique floor designs to your home. Opt for the art deco flooring option or tiles with intricate patterns evoking the Santorini feel to your living room. You can also spread geometrically shaped rugs with bright colours and fringes on your floor rendering it a bold look. Balance this maximal style by opting for furniture like ottomans, lounge chairs and sofa beds in all-white upholstery.
Begin by curating an elegant bedroom with minimal display of sleek and well-defined furniture in pastel hues. Add to this, a boho-chic reading corner with floral printed arm chair, sea green pouffe and a wicker table lamp. This contrasting amalgamation will give you clearly demarcated sections without borders, appealing to your different moods.
(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Esha Gupta recently shared a fitness post nailing an extreme stretch and left her audience speechless. We are in awe of the actor too.
- For a promotional event of her upcoming film, Roohi, Janhvi Kapoor opted to wear a gorgeous floor-sweeping black dress and looked absolutely fantastic.
- If Monday blues have already bogged you down, atleast we got your dinner menu sorted with this scrumptious recipe of Tempeh Spicy Mexican Tacos
- Yoga enthusiast Malaika Arora stresses on the importance of breathing for overall wellness, lays Monday motivation by taking fitness freaks through the steps and benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayama or Alternate Nostril Breathing exercises | Watch
- Up for some homemade chocolate that is bursting with flavour and nutritional benefits? Try this extremely simple recipe of Butterfly Pea Powder Bounty Bars that are not only a mouthwatering vegan treat but also helps one to lose weight and feel great
- Eat it with hummus or just like that, you can also use it in your sandwiches and burgers, falafel is truly a diverse dish. That is not all, it is also extremely easy to make. Try this simple recipe and tell us what you think.