Khaidi No 150 movie review: A glorious tribute to megastar Chiranjeevi
Film: Khaidi No 150
Director: VV Vinayak
Cast: Chiranjeevi, Kajal Aggarwal, Ali, Brahmanandam and Tarun Arora
Khaidi No 150 is the perfect red carpet welcome for Chiranjeevi, who has faced the arc lights after nearly a decade. And he stuns with his charisma and energy.
Right from the first frame, Chiranjeevi owns the show and he doesn’t go overboard in his attempt to please everybody. Despite being a remake of Tamil blockbuster Kaththi, the film succeeds in keeping the soul of the original intact and at the same time, pays a glorious tribute to its star.
Chiranjeevi couldn’t have chosen a better script for his comeback. This story of a hero, especially one with political leanings in real life, rising up at the cries of farmers against corporatisation will earn the star a lot of goodwill, and in this case, immense love from his fans. Although Khaidi No 150 is a needlessly more commercial version of the original, it’s tough to deny the fact that it still works and Chiranjeevi is solely responsible for it. Even at 61, he fittingly justifies the film’s tagline - Boss Is Back - with conviction and panache.
He can still dance gracefully, mouth dialogues with gusto and shine in comedy scenes as comfortably as he could a decade ago. Although he struggles to stir up emotionally as Vijay could in the original in the flashback portions, he is still a treat to watch, especially in the action sequences.
Director Vinayak, who earlier made Tagore with Chiranjeevi, does a very promising job of keeping the film largely faithful to the remake. In the process, he adds an extra song (featuring the highly sensuous Raai Laxmi) and a comedy track which might work for those who may not have watched Kaththi. Otherwise, the film works just the way it’s supposed to and strikes all the right chords at some important junctures.
However, one wished the whole farmers’ angle was addressed more seriously. Unlike the original, the portion involving farmers in the flashback doesn’t hit one in the gut. Another big drawback is its music by Devi Sri Prasad. While it’s understandable that the songs have to be commercial to appeal to the large fan base of Chiranjeevi, it’s surprising that the background score barely recreates the magic of the original by Anirudh Ravichander.
Chiranjeevi hits the bull’s eye with Khaidi No 150, and his approach may have worked this time. However, it might not work in his favour if he continues being part of such projects as it’s high time he considers playing roles his age.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- Kishwer Merchant and Suyyash Rai announced on Tuesday that they are expecting their first child. Check out their Instagram posts.
- Amazon Prime Video has issued a new apology over the legal cases surrounding the political drama Tandav. Read it here.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- BTS singer V released his vlog on YouTube, which featured a few behind-the-scenes glimpses at his song Snow Flower with Peakboy, his workout session, and more.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- BLACKPINK member Rosé shared posters to confirm that she will make her solo debut on March 12. Her fellow BLACKPINK members Jisoo, Lisa and Jennie extend their support.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.