3 years on, survivors recall Mumbai’s Elphinstone stampede

HT Image
HT Image
Published on Sep 30, 2020 12:20 AM IST
Copy Link
ByAroosa Ahmed, Mumbai

Three years after the Elphinstone stampede claimed the lives of 23 people, survivors and their families are still grappling with the effects of the tragedy.

Aakash Parab, 21, suffered a thigh bone fracture during the stampede on the foot overbridge (FOB) at Elphinstone Road (now Prabhadevi) railway station on September 29, 2017. He was among the 39 people injured in the incident. His younger brother Rohit, 11, was the youngest of the 23 who died in the stampede.

“I recall the stampede – people started falling and someone fell on me and I lost consciousness. I was taken out and put in a police van. I started searching for Rohit the minute I regained consciousness, but I could not see him. I called my friends and then my parents and asked them to come to the hospital,” Parab said, remembering the tragedy. Parab suffered a fractured thigh bone and had to spend 18 days in the civic-run KEM Hospital. He also underwent surgery for his injury. “It’s tough to stand for long hours,” he said. Parab now has a temporary job at an office in Marol.

Ankita, Parab’s mother, said the family has struggled to make a living during the lockdown. “We had a flower shop that was shut completely. There was no source of income at all. We suffered a lot and did not know how to get money to survive. Aakash got a job but it is temporary and the salary is less. It is extremely difficult to manage,” she said. Ankita has written to the ministry of Railways and the chief minister of Maharashtra, asking for a job for her son, but said she has not received any reply. “I am hoping that the Railways reply and my son manages to get a job,” she said.

However, the Railways had clarified previously that it cannot assure any job to anyone injured in the stampede. A compensation of 8 lakh was given to the families of those who lost their kin in the tragedy.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Gurugram: Vehicles commute through waterlogged Delhi- Gurugram Expressway and Service Road after heavy rain in Gurugram on Monday. (ANI Photo)

    Delhi-NCR sees fresh late-night rain spell amid outages, flight woes: 10 points

    Delhi-NCR saw another overnight spell of rain and thunderstorms after early morning showers on Monday morning brought down the temperatures by 11 degrees in 1.5 hours, and also caused air and road traffic disruptions. The IMD ((India Meteorological Department) on Monday evening had predicted a fresh round of showers in the national capital and parts of Punjab, Haryana, north Rajasthan and western Uttar Pradesh. Here are ten points on the Delhi weather: 1.

  • People wade through water near Galleria Market in Sushant Lok in Gurugram on Monday. (Vipin Kumar/ Hindustan Times)

    Rain brings respite to Haryana

    The early morning rains reported in most parts of Haryana on Monday brought respite from scorching heat in both the rural and urban parts of the state. As per reports of the meteorological and agriculture department at Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agriculture University, light to heavy rainfall was witnessed in parts of Ambala, Gurugram, Kurukshetra, Kaithal Karnal, Fatehabad, Mahendergarh, Jhajjar, Yamunanagar, Rohtak, Panchkula, Panipat, Sonepat and Jind districts.

  • Seven former Congress leaders rejoined the party in Chandigarh on Monday. (Image for representational purpose)

    Haryana: Seven former Congress leaders return to party fold

    Seven former Congress leaders rejoined the party in Chandigarh on Monday. Among the rejoiners are Sharda Rathore, Ram Niwas Ghorela, Naresh Selwal, Rakesh Kamboj, Rajkumar Valmiki, Zile Ram Sharma and Subhash Chaudhary, who had quit the party to join the BJP, HJC or contest as an Independent. Besides, former INLD MLA Parminder Singh Dhul, who had contested in 2019 on a BJP ticket, and Kishanlal Panchal of the LSP also joined the Congress.

  •  (Image for representational purpose)

    Sexual offences against a child: Parents can’t strike a compromise, rules HC

    The victim child and her parents can't strike a compromise in the cases of sexual offence against the minor, the Punjab and Haryana high court has ruled.

  • A man was arrested for allegedly raping his six-year-old daughter at a factory, which was shut down for the last many years at Rewari’s Dharuhera area, police said on Monday. (Image for representational purpose)

    Haryana: Father arrested for raping 6-year-old girl

    A man was arrested for allegedly raping his six-year-old daughter at a factory, which was shut down for the last many years at Rewari's Dharuhera area, police said on Monday. A spokesperson of Rewari police said the man has been booked under sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (Pocso) and the girl has been admitted to a hospital.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, May 24, 2022