Huge arms haul in Nashik: 25 rifles, 19 revolvers,1 machine gun seized; three arrested
Acting on a tip-off, the Nashik rural police seized a large quantity of arms near Chandwad toll naka on Agra-Mumbai highway and arrested three men on Friday morning. The seizure includes 25 rifles, one machine gun, 19 revolvers and 4,166 live cartridges.
The is the largest arms seizure in Maharashtra since the arms haul in Aurangabad in 2006.
The police were alerted by a local petrol pump owner after the three accused stopped at the pump to fill fuel in their vehicle (MH-01/SA 7460). The three arrested have been identified as Nagesh Bansode, 23, a resident of Wadala in Nashik, and two Mumbai residents, Salman Ammanulla Khan, 19, and Badrinujam Badshah alias Sumit, 27, both of whom live in Sewri.
The Chandwad police station are investigating the case and have filed a first information report (FIR) under the Arms Act and under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code.
The is the first major seizure in 11 years. On May 9, 2006, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad had seized 43 kg of RDX, 50 hand grenades, several AK-47 rifles and 3,200 live cartridges in two separate incidents in Aurangabad.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The IMD had forecast that minimum temperatures in and around Mumbai would drop owing to cold winds from the north.
- The labourer, who died, was working near the machine and he got trapped between the upper and lower portion of the machine, said a railway official.
- The additional local train services, being added from Friday in Mumbai, will only be available for the restricted categories of commuters allowed to travel on the network currently.
- “From last 60 days, these farmers were sitting patiently, asking for the farm laws to be withdrawn but the government displayed no serious intentions,” said Pawar.
- The HC stated that section 8 of the Pocso Act, which penalizes physical contact with sexual intent without penetration, did not apply here as the minor was still wearing her clothes when the accused groped her.