Mumbai scrap dealer picks up wrong bottle, drinks phenyl instead of water
The man’s workers had kept a plastic bottle containing phenyl next to his water bottle. He was so engrossed in his work, he blindly reached for the wrong bottle and drank from itmumbai Updated: Apr 19, 2017 13:09 IST
A 45-year-old scrap dealer from Tardeo accidentally drank phenyl on Monday afternoon, after he picked up what he thought was his water bottle. The man, Gamerchand Jain, was immediately taken to Motiben Dalvi Hospital in Gamdevi. He is currently recuperating.
Jain, his son, and other workers were cleaning his shop at the time of the accident.
“Jain’s workers had kept a plastic bottle containing phenyl next to his water bottle. Jain was so engrossed in his work, he blindly reached for the wrong bottle and drank from it. He realised it wasn’t water only when he went to take a second sip,” said an officer from the Tardeo police station.
“On realising what had happened, Jain’s son persuaded him to vomit. However, he realised that vomiting could damage his father’s internal organs and so took him to hospital. Hospital authorities said timely intervention is what saved Jain’s life,” added an officer from the Tardeo police station.
Hospital authorities informed the local police station of the case at 6.30 am on Tuesday.
Police said they suspected foul play and so asked Jain’s son and other workers to record their statements.
“We haven’t registered a case yet. Investigations are ongoing,” said sub-Inspector Poonam Jadhav from Tardeo police station.
First Published: Apr 19, 2017 13:08 IST