Over 800 DIET employees in Maharashtra await salaries since May
More than 800 employees working under the District Institutes of Education and Training (DIETs) have not received their salaries from the Maharashtra government since May. On Thursday, many such employees staged a silent protest in their respective offices.
“We have not received our well-deserved salaries despite working throughout the lockdown. Many of us have EMIs to pay and bills to clear, but the government is not considering our situation. Despite making several representations, our file is still pending,” said a DIET employee.
Officials from the state education department did not respond to calls and messages.
A source from the state government said the delay in payments was owing to the delay in disbursal of funds from the Central government.
DIET works with state governments in the area of curriculum development, teacher trainings etc. While 60% of the funding for its functioning comes from the Central government, the remaining 40% is from the state government.
“Usually, the state would pool its own funds if there was a delay from the Centre. However, this time due to several decisions of the government with respect to capping of expenditures due to Covid-19 related costs, it has not done so,” said an official from the government.
Most employees of DIET who are appointed through the Maharashtra Public Service Commission (MPSC) said they have not heard from the government since the past two months. “A letter has gone to the government from the education department but there is no response,” added an employee.
The state government is expecting a report on the empirical data elucidating the political backwardness of the Other Backward Classes (OBCs) from the dedicated commission in June, deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar on Thursday said and added they would approach the Supreme Court with the report, requesting it to restore the quota. Pawar also expressed the hope that the apex court would give a positive verdict on the OBC reservation in the local bodies.
A fire broke out at Patna's Vishvesvaraya Bhawan late on Thursday, the second time within nine days, police said adding that three fire tenders already parked at the Bhawan immediately brought the fire under control and doused the flames. This time, the blaze was reported on the sixth floor of the building. However, no casualties have been reported so far in the incident. People raised an alarm after they noticed smoke billowing from the building.
More than two years after Chitale was booked under the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (Prevention of Atrocities) Act for allegedly posting derogatory comments on Buddhism, the Rabale police on Thursday arrested Marathi actor Ketaki Chitale. A resident of Ghansoli and a final-year law student, Swapnil Jagtap then alleged that he had received a screenshot on WhatsApp about Chitale's Facebook post on March 1, 2020, and comments below it by one Suraj Shinde.
Efforts by one of the top scientific institutions of the country—National Academy of Sciences, India — to increase participation of women in the field of science and technology have started to pay off now. Neeraj Kumar, executive secretary, NASI, Prayagraj said the institution gives fellowship to just around 50 scientists every year who are selected by top scientists of the country. The Prayagraj academy, founded in 1930, is the oldest of all Indian science academies.
In an attempt to enforce accountability, take corrupt and lax cops to task and improve the overall law and order in the district, SSP Prayagraj Ajay Kumar has taken action against 132 policemen ever since taking charge in January this year. During these 131 days, Kumar has suspended 89 policemen, which includes seven SHOs, 26 sub-inspectors, 16 head constables, 37 constables and one follower.