The police said the accused also tried to strangle the woman’s 85-year-old mother.(HT Photo)
The police said the accused also tried to strangle the woman’s 85-year-old mother.(HT Photo)

Woman stabbed by security guard in Mumbai’s Andheri out of danger: Police

A medical test indicated that the accused intended to rape the woman, said police
Hindustan Times | By HT Correspondent, Mumbai
UPDATED ON APR 22, 2017 01:42 PM IST

The 50-year-old woman, who was allegedly attacked by a security guard in a posh colony in Mumbai’s Andheri area, is out of danger, police said on Saturday.

The woman was stabbed twice in her stomach by the guard in her flat in Four Bungalows area. She was taken to Cooper Hospital where she was operated upon on Thursday.

“The doctors have informed us that she is out of danger. But she will be kept there till she recovers completely,” a woman police officer, who is investigating the case, said.

After a medical test was conducted on the women, doctors suggested prima facie it looked like there was an attempt to rape her but added that the final report is awaited.

Raja Shebu, who is in his 20s and was employed as a temporary watchman at the building in absence of the regular guard, went to the woman’s flat with a cable operator around 5pm on Thursday. After the operator left, he demanded the woman to give him her phone number and started touching her inappropriately.

As the woman pushed him away and screamed, he slapped and punched her and even tore her clothes. She, however, continued to scream after which he picked up a knife and stabbed her twice in her stomach. The woman’s 85-year-old mother, who is a paralysis patient, was in the house at the time of the attack. She, too, raised an alarm and Shebu tried to strangle her as well.

Their relatives, who own the other flats on the floor, came rushing on hearing their screams. One of the elderly relatives even caught Shebu but he assaulted the man and escaped. They then chased the guard and also alerted the police. Shebu was finally caught by a mob that thrashed him and handed him over to the police.

Police said they recovered the blood-stained kitchen knife that was used by Shebu to stab the woman. They have also collected the blood-soaked clothes of Shebu and as well as that of the woman. His mobile phone has been seized as well. They will be sent to Kalina Forensic Laboratory to glean evidence, they added.

Shebu was also taken for a medical test.

Police are also trying to find close circuit television cameras in the vicinity to gather evidence as the building has no CCTVs. They, however, said they have ample evidence, several witnesses and eyewitnesses to pin Shebu’s role in the crime.

The police said they will soon record the statements of the relatives and few men, who chased Shebu and helped them nab him. The woman’s mother will be made an eyewitness in the case, they added.

“He is from West Bengal. He was a temporary watchman as their watchman had gone to (his) village. But, we will find out if he has more crime against women cases on him which will make our case stronger,” the officer investigating the case said when asked if Shebu has a prior criminal record.

Police are also checking his background and whether he worked anywhere else in the city.

Story Saved