Sonu Nigam backs India’s first barrier-breaking transgender band
India’s first transgender band called The 6 Pack Band has released its debut single Hum Hain Happy, a cover of Pharrell Williams’ hit dance number Happy.
The band was launched by Yash Raj Films’s youth films wing Y-Films in association with Brooke Bond Red Label. Sonu Nigam launched the band’s single.
The 6 Pack Band has been curated by composer Shameer Tandon and comprises six transgender singers hailing from India’s Hijra community, who will be releasing six songs backed by six music videos.
Listen to the song here
Actress-producer Anushka Sharma, who introduces the band in their first music video, said in a statement: “I believe that all living beings should be treated with the same respect and dignity. This song is one way to get everyone to tune in to that one thought and beat. Because often where words fail, music speaks.”
Ashish Patil, who heads Y-Films, added: “We truly believe that in spite of all our differences, we all dance to the same beat. Irrespective of caste, creed, religion, economic status and gender. And it is music that brings us all together.”
Speaking about the association with the The 6 Pack Band, Brooke Bond Red Label spokesperson Shiva Krishnamurthy said: “Brooke Bond Red Label believes in making the world a more welcoming place by diffusing socially awkward situations. We encourage people to live those little moments that bring us all closer by breaking barriers over a cup of tea.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BTS singer Jungkook was the talk of the town with his surprise VLive followed by his statements on his upcoming mixtape, dubbed JJK1, on Saturday.
Jonita Gandhi: Music industry is still male dominant and there’s a certain stereotyping that’s happening with women
- Sajid Khan of the Sajid-Wajid fame has said in a recent interview how Salman Khan has been supporting him after his brother Wajid's death last year.
- Last year, BTS singer Jimin caused a frenzy among Indian BTS fans when he said he watched 3 Idiots.
- BTS singer V confirmed that his mixtape would feature 13 songs. This revelation has left the fandom, ARMY, in an emotional state.
- Nick Jonas has released the title track from his new album Spaceman. The singer revealed that most songs on the album are musical love letters to Priyanka Chopra.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.
- Renowned Punjabi singer Sardool Sikander died on Wednesday. Several Punjabi and Bollywood celebrities remembered him on social media.