Swimmer dies mysteriously in Noida pool
A 26-year-old man died in the swimming pool of an international school on Tuesday under mysterious circumstances in Noida. Shashank Shekhar reports.noida Updated: Aug 14, 2013 00:46 IST
A 26-year-old man died in the swimming pool of an international school on Tuesday under mysterious circumstances in Noida.
While officials of Billabong High International School in Sector 34 said that Shivesh Bose drowned in the pool, the postmortem report found no water in his lungs.
The family of the deceased suspect foul play.
"He was an avid swimmer. I am not sure if anyone tried to revive my son," said the father of the victim, retired Colonel Siddhartha Bose.
Police said Bose was a professional swimmer and was in the pool around 7am with around a dozen people when the incident occurred.
Some regulars at the pool claimed that there was no trainer or lifeguard present when he 'drowned'.
School authorities said the management of the pool was handed over to a private company: Speed man sports management.
Pool in-charge Sucheta said, "Shivesh used to come around 6-7 am. He was using this pool since six months and had participated in swimming events. We are surprised as the depth of the pool is just three feet deep where he drowned while Shivesh is more than five-and-a-half-feet tall. We pulled him out of the pool and gave him mouth-to-mouth but he could not be revived."
Shivesh was taken to Shivalik Hospital and then referred to the District Hospital at Sector 30, where he was declared brought dead at 7:50 am.
Deputy superintendent of police Vishwajeet Srivastava said, "Doctors are not sure of the cause of death. They did not find water in his lungs. This makes it clear that he did not die of drowning."
The family has not registered an FIR against anyone so far. A special drive had been recently conducted to assess the safety standards of swimming pools in Noida.
City magistrate Sanjay Chauhan said, "The team had also inspected Billabong school's swimming pool and it was found that the school had adopted adequate safety measures."