Watch: Narrow escape for 17 children as school bus catches fire in Indirapuram
According to officials, all the 17 children from Fr Agnel School in Vaishali, Ghaziabad were rescued by locals, shopkeepers, and security guards who were present in the area after their bus caught fire. The locals tried to douse the fire but their efforts failed.noida Updated: May 02, 2017 22:28 IST
Seventeen schoolchildren from classes 1 to 8 of Fr Agnel School in Vaishali, Ghaziabad had a narrow escape when their bus caught fire in Indirapuram on Tuesday .
According to officials, all the 17 children were rescued by locals, shopkeepers, and security guards who were present in the area. The locals tried to douse the fire but their efforts failed. The driver, conductor and a teacher, who was in the bus at the time of the incident, also helped in the rescue efforts.
The bus belongs to a contractor and was hired by the school .
The officials of the fire department roped in two fire tenders to douse the blaze as it raged after the children were rescued.
“Prima facie, the cause of the fire is a leakage in a CNG cylinder. We have identified the bus contractor,” said Som Dutt Sonkar, fire safety officer, Vaishali fire station.
During the rescue, the bags, books and other belongings of the students were left behind and burnt down inside the bus. The bus had left the school after 1pm and had arrived in Ahimsa Khand after dropping few other students.
After the rescue operation was over, the entire bus got engulfed in flames. Some of the parents rushed to the spot leaving their work and said that they will approach the school authorities on Wednesday.
The school authorities could not be contacted as the staff told that the officials had left for the day.
This is the second incident on Tuesday related to school students. In another fire at a playschool in Vasundhara, nearly 50 school children were rescued after a fire started on the ground floor as an electrical panel suffered a short-circuit.
On April 28, about 80 especially abled children were rescued after a rescue operation by the fire department personnel from a rehabilitation centre in Indirapuram. The electrical panel installed at the centre had caught fire on the ground floor.
First Published: May 02, 2017 17:55 IST