2 from Pune charred to death as Goa-Mumbai bus catches fire near Kolhapur
Technical fault with AC causes bus to catch firepune Updated: Nov 25, 2017 15:24 IST
Pune: Two Pune residents were charred to death as the luxury bus carrying them and other passengers caught fire at Longegaon, Gaganbawada in Kolhapur district around 4.30 am on Friday.
According to the police, the deceased, Bunty Bhatt (20) and Vicky Bhatt (25), were relatives and residents of Vaiduvadi in Hadapsar. The duo succumbed to injuries with 90 per cent burns, as the moving bus caught fire due to a short circuit in the air conditioner system. The two victims were Dhol artists and had gone to Goa to perform in a show. Sixteen other passengers had a miraculous escape with minor injuries.
The luxury bus owned by one Aatmaram Travels, a Mumbai-based private bus operator, was on its way to Mumbai from Goa when the accident took place on Gaganbawada road.
A police official said that the fire broke out due to short circuit and within minutes the vehicle was in flames. The quick-thinking driver stopped the bus and ushered 16 passengers off the bus but could not save the two victims due to heavy smoke.
Officials said that Bunty originally hails from Bhopal and was staying in Pune.
Vicky is survived by his two daughters and wife and Bunty leaves behind his pregnant wife. The bodies have been sent to CPR hospital for a postmortem. The survivors were taken to a private hospital by local police officials and were later discharged after being administered first aid.
First Published: Nov 24, 2017 14:29 IST