14 challans issued during drive to check dengue larvae in Jalandhar
After two city residents died due to dengue in the last two days, the district health department intensified its drive to check the larva of dengue on Wednesday. A team of the district administration issued challans to 14 residents of Model Town, Mota Singh Nagar and Maqsudan localities.
Rajbir Kaur (11), a resident of Jinda Road, died late on Monday and Mahinder Kaur of New Colony Model Town breathed her last at the PGI, Chandigarh, on Tuesday. The two were suffering from dengue.
On Wednesday, the anti-larva teams visited 393 houses and covered the population of 1,754.
The team sprayed into 564 rooms after mosquitoes were found breeding there and checked 114 desert coolers.
Dr Rajiv Bhalla, civil surgeon, said dengue was transmitted by the bite of Aedes mosquito that usually targets in the day time. He said a severe headache, pain behind the eyes, muscles and joint pains are symptoms of the disease.
He added Aedes mosquito breeds in desert coolers, water storage containers, tyres, overhead tanks and many more places where rainwater collects or is stored.
He motivated the gathering that all water storage containers should be kept covered and from old tyres, broken pots, crockery it should be removed.
He also advised the gathering to put insecticides, petrol and kerosene in coolers, containers etc once a week, which cannot be emptied or cleaned.
Twenty-four dengue cases have been detected in Jalandhar this season, he said. Of the nine new infected patients, five are undergoing treatment at government hospitals, while four are admitted in private hospitals.