Toxic gases in sewer kill worker, his father who tried to rescue him
A 25-year-old man, working on contract with Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board, and his father, who came to his rescue, died of asphyxiation in a sewer in Gidderbaha on Wednesday.punjab Updated: Apr 21, 2017 15:58 IST
A 25-year-old man, working on contract with Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board, and his father, who came to his rescue, died of asphyxiation in a sewer in Gidderbaha on Wednesday.
Victim Bittu Kumar along with two other workers had entered the sewer to repair a fault near the sewerage plant when he fell unconscious after inhaling toxic gases. Other workers tried to rescue him but had to leave the sewer to save themselves.
After Bittu’s father Lal Chand, 52, came to know about the incident, he rushed to the spot. Lal Chand, who was a Class-4 employee in the irrigation department, entered the sewer, but got stuck there along with his son as sewage started flowing in the line. Their bodies were recovered later.
Two workers had died after inhaling toxic gases while repairing a sewerage line near Mehraj village in Bathinda in March this year.Three workers also died in similar circumstances in Haryana’s Sonepat district on Monday.
First Published: Apr 19, 2017 21:04 IST