Train catches fire at Ambala Cantt station, 2 coaches gutted
Two coaches of KalkaShirdi Sai Express (22455) were gutted after these caught fire when the train was parked at the washing yard of the Ambala Cantt railway station here on Monday afternoon.punjab Updated: Dec 29, 2015 12:26 IST
Two coaches of KalkaShirdi Sai Express (22455) were gutted after these caught fire when the train was parked at the washing yard of the Ambala Cantt railway station here on Monday afternoon.
Divisional Railway Manager (DRM) Dinesh Kumar said an inquiry had been ordered and further action would be taken after the probe. He added that no was injured in the incident.
Railway officials said at the time of the mishap, no passenger was on board the train which was to leave for Kalka in the evening. The train had halted at the railway station for a mechanical check-up. They said the fire originated from Coach-5 and subsequently spread to the adjoining coach, which was also partially damaged.
According to sources the fire was suspected to have been caused by a short circuit during the battery check-up of the train.
They said initially, the railway staff attempted to extinguish the flames with pumpsets at the yard and they were joined by the Government Railway Police (GRP) and Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel soon.
Later, four fire tenders, including on`e from the Air Force station here also reached the spot. They took approximately one hour to control the fire, sources added. Sources said the train came to the yard twice a week for a check-up. They said there was commotion at the station after the flames billowed out of the train and a large number of people also gathered at the spot.
First Published: Dec 29, 2015 12:24 IST