Vendor averts tragedy after he spots smoke emitting from a bogie at Ludhiana railway station
A vendor at the Ludhiana railway station averted a tragedy on Wednesday morning, when he spotted smoke emanating from a bogie of the Dadar Express that was just pulling out of platform number 4. He immediately alerted an attendant on board who pulled the chain just in time.punjab Updated: Apr 20, 2017 13:38 IST
A vendor at the Ludhiana railway station averted a tragedy on Wednesday morning, when he spotted smoke emanating from a bogie of the Dadar Express that was just pulling out of platform number 4. He immediately alerted an attendant on board who pulled the chain just in time.
The train (11058), coming in from Amritsar and bound towards Mumbai, had received the green signal at 11.50am. The 36-year-old vendor, Dilip Singh, saw smoke emanating from coach A1 just as the train departed. Sources said a short circuit caused the spark, which could have proven to be dangerous had it not been spotted on time.
Dilip said, “I rushed towards the train and saw the attendant standing at the gate of a bogie.” He screamed and informed him that the train had caught fire. The attendant quickly pulled the chain and sprayed dry powder on the battery which was smoking.
Intelligence inspector Chiranjilal Meena said, “After stopping the train, Dilip immediately contacted me. I alerted the officers at the station.” He added that a minor short circuit could cause a major fire.
Station superintendent Ashok Salaria said the situation could have turned dangerous if the chain had not been pulled on time.
After that, the train was stationed in Ludhiana for 35 minutes as the AC mechanics sorted out the issue. Salaria said a cell of the battery was found burnt. However, the train finally departed at 12.33pm after the mechanic was given the bypass connection to the other cell. There are 56 cells in one battery.
The passengers inside the bogie were unaware of the situation outside. They said the train started moving after its mandatory 10-minute halt and stopped immediately and the power went off.
“We thought that there was something wrong but did not know that it was our own coach that had suffered a short circuit,” they added.
First Published: Apr 20, 2017 13:33 IST