Facts and figures about Facebook
Facts and figures about Facebooksocial media Updated: May 18, 2012 19:50 IST
Facts and figures about Facebook:
- Facebook has more than 900 million active users. If the company were a country, it would be the third largest in the world after China (population: 1.34 billion) and India (population: 1.17 billion).
- Some 488 million people use Facebook on mobile devices -- more than half its members worldwide -- and the reach is even bigger in countries such as South Africa, Nigeria and Japan, where mobile use is 70 to 90%. (source: socialbakers.com).
- With 157 million members, the United States has the most Facebook users. Brazil recently jumped to second place with 47 million, followed by India with 45.8 million, Indonesia with 42.2 million and Mexico with 33.1 million. (source: socialbakers.com)
- Facebook is the most popular social network in every country of the world, with the exceptions of China, Japan, Russia, South Korea and Vietnam. (source: comScore)
- In April, Facebook announced a billion-dollar deal to buy the startup behind wildly popular smartphone photo sharing application Instagram, its biggest acquisition to date. The US Federal Trade Commission is reviewing the deal.
- Facebook has minted four billionaires: Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz, Eduardo Saverin and Sean Parker. The 28-year-old Zuckerberg's net worth was estimated at $17.5 billion on the 2011 Forbes list of the wealthiest Americans. Moskovitz had a net worth of $3.5 billion but pipped Zuckerberg for the title of world's youngest billionaire, being eight days younger. The Brazilian-born Saverin, who left Facebook early on after a falling-out with Zuckerberg, had a net worth of $2 billion. Parker, the Napster co-founder who briefly served as Facebook's president, had a net worth of $2.1 billion.
- Chris Hughes, one of Facebook's four co-founders, served as director of online organizing for Barack Obama's successful 2008 presidential campaign.
- Facebook says it had an average of 526 million daily active users in March 2012, an increase of 41% from a year ago. It had registered 125 billion "friend connections" as of March 31 and 3.2 billion "likes" and comments.
- More than 300 million photos are uploaded to Facebook every day.
- "The Social Network," the 2010 film about the origins of Facebook, won four Golden Globes -- including for best picture and best director -- but disappointed at the Oscars, walking away with only non-acting awards for best adapted screenplay, original score and film editing.
- Facebook, which currently employs around 3,500 people, has announced plans to hire "thousands" more over the next year. Some studies suggest that Facebook-related firms and apps have created many more jobs and economic value.
- With a market value at the IPO of $104 billion, Facebook is bigger than Amazon ($98 billion) and Cisco ($89 billion), and more than twice the value of Ford Motor Co. ($38 billion). But it remains behind Google ($203 billion) and Apple ($495 billion).