Politics to cricket: India's 2014 Twitter record
Indians talked about politics, movie icons, cricket, celebrated and argued about moments and events on Twitter throughout 2014. And all of it reflected in their tweets and retweets.social media Updated: Dec 10, 2014 17:51 IST
Indians talked about politics, movie icons, cricket, celebrated and argued about moments and events on Twitter throughout 2014. And all of it reflected in their tweets and retweets.
In a review of the year, the micro-blogging site has captured India's top 10 moments like peaks in Twitter conversation, 20 most retweeted tweets from Indian accounts, top 10 fastest-rising Twitter hashtag trends in India, top 20 Indian accounts with the most followers who joined Twitter in 2014.
Of the Top 10 moments in India, three are related to cricket including the Indian Premier League. Rohit Sharma's world record for the highest individual ODI cricket score of 264 on November 13 versus Sri Lanka in Kolkata stands out in the top 10 moments in India.
Rajinikanth joining Twitter was the second most talked about moment of the year. With over 200,000 followers in the first 24 hours and now over 1.1 million in total, it's clear that he has many loyal fans both off and on Twitter.
Two of the top 5 peaks in conversations were about Prime Minister Narendra Modi. With 8.5 million followers, he is currently the second most followed political leader in the world after US President Barack Obama and continues to add followers at a rapid pace.
Here's a look at the Top 10 Moments:
Peaks in Twitter conversation among Indians
1) 13 Nov 2014: Rohit Sharma scores 264 runs vs Sri Lanka. He claimed the record for the world's highest ever ODI score by an individual
2) 4 May 2014: Rajinikanth joins Twitter with a message of thanks to his legion of fans and has over 200,000 followers within the first 24 hours
3) 22 April 2014: PM candidate Narendra Modi refrains his supporters from making irresponsible statements during the election campaign
4) 2 May 2014: The 2014 season of the Pepsi IPL returns to India
5) 3 May 2014: Modi gives an interview for a Hindi News channel leading to a big debate on freedom of press
6) 23 April 2014: Arvind Kejriwal files nomination papers from Varanasi as Shazia Ilmi stokes controversy over communal comment
7) 23 Oct 2014: India celebrates Diwali
8) 21 May 2014: Kejriwal arrested for protesting on the streets of Delhi
9) 2 July 2014: Outrage over tennis star Maria Sharapova claiming she does not know who is cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar
10) 11 April 2014: SP leader Abu Azmi's rakes up controversy by claiming women should also be punished in rape cases
First Published: Dec 10, 2014 15:39 IST