Royal wedding spoof gets maximum hits
T-Mobile’s spoof of the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge has topped YouTube’s list of the most popular videos. The clip shows look-alikes of wedding guests, including Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth, breaking into a jig. VIDEO INSIDEsocial media Updated: Dec 07, 2011 16:30 IST
T-Mobile’s spoof of the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge has topped YouTube’s list of the most popular advertisement among British viewers.
The clip recreates the royal wedding with a cast of look-alikes who break out into a series of outlandish dance routines. It has been viewed 24.5 million times worldwide on Google’s video sharing website.
“bumper year for online video advertising,” the Telegraph quoted Dara Nasr of YouTube as saying.
“Advertisers are increasingly taking advantage of the social nature of online video by creating ads that are likely to be shared, liked and commented on,” he added.
John Lewis’ current Christmas campaign, introduced only two weeks ago, featuring a young boy who just cannot wait to give his parents their present, is at number seven in YouTube’s top 10 for British viewers.
The clip, set to a cover version of The Smiths song ‘Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want’, has received 3.3 million hits.
YouTube revealed that Google's own commercial for its Chrome web browser, which chronicled the adventures of a young entrepreneur, was the second most popular advertisement with British viewers, although it was only 2.5 million times globally.
YouTube said it had determined popularity in the UK using an internal tool that is not publicly available.
The YouTube advertising 2011 top 10:
1. T-Mobile - The T-Mobile royal wedding
2. Google Chrome - Google Chrome: Jamal Edwards
3. Asos - The ASOS Urban Tour in London - preview
4. VW - The Force: Volkswagen Commercial
5. Listerine - Listerine Mouth vs. Life
6. Kia - The New Kia Picanto
7. John Lewis - John Lewis Christmas Advert 2011
8. Twinings - Gets you back to you
9. Flora - Flora Cuisine Vernon & Gladys introduce new healthy way to cook
10. Nokia - Nokia N8 Pink – Freedom
First Published: Dec 07, 2011 14:28 IST