What people shared most on Facebook in 2011
In 2011 Facebook users shared news articles with their online friends to inform, educate and discuss the issues that were important to them, including the Japan earthquake and tsunami, parenting tips and zodiac signs.social media Updated: Dec 30, 2011 14:52 IST
In 2011 Facebook users shared news articles with their online friends to inform, educate and discuss the issues that were important to them, including the Japan earthquake and tsunami, parenting tips and zodiac signs.
“We recently looked at the most shared articles in the US on Facebook over the past year,” said Facebook in a November 30 blog post. “The stories range from cute to thought-provoking and represent the type of news people have been sharing and discovering with friends in 2011.”
The New York Times article “Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami” was the most shared article on the site for the year. Facebook users also shared the story of a dog in Japan who stayed by the side of an ailing canine friend in the wake of disaster.
News about the disaster in Japan was also a popular search term in the US on Bing in 2011. The Japan earthquake/tsunami was the fourth most searched-for topic on Microsoft’s search engine, behind the Casey Anthony trial, Osama Bin Laden’s death and Hurricane Irene.
Articles about parenting and children were also popular with Facebook users this year. CNN’s “What teachers really want to tell parents” and “Parents, don't dress your girls like tramps,” and Yahoo!’s video of a father and daughter dance medley all made it into the top five most shared Facebook articles.
The top 20 most shared news articles on Facebook in 2011:
1. Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami (New York Times)
2. What teachers really want to tell parents (CNN)
3. No, your zodiac sign hasn't changed (CNN)
4. Parents, don't dress your girls like tramps (CNN)
5. (video) - Father Daughter Dance Medley (Yahoo!)
6. At funeral, dog mourns the death of Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan (Yahoo!)
7. You'll freak when you see the new Facebook (CNN)
8. Dog in Japan stays by the side of ailing friend in the rubble (Yahoo!)
9. Giant crocodile captured alive in Philippines (Yahoo!)
10. New Zodiac Sign Dates: Ophiuchus The 13th Sign? (The Huffington Post)
11. Parents keep child’s gender under wraps (Yahoo!)
12. How to Talk to Little Girls (The Huffington Post)
13. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich (New York Times)
14. Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior (Wall Street Journal)
15.(video) - Twin Baby Boys Have A Conversation! (Yahoo!)
16. Man robs bank to get medical care in jail (Yahoo!)
17. Why You're Not Married (The Huffington Post)
18. A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs (New York Times)
19. Ryan Dunn Dead: 'Jackass' Star Dies In Car Crash (The Huffington Post)
20. Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’ (Yahoo!)
First Published: Dec 30, 2011 11:20 IST