How Nita Ambani was courted
Had it not been for Mukesh Ambani’s quick thinking, he would probably have not been able to convince Nita to marry him so soon after they met.
In an interview to Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla on the opening show of NDTV Good Times’ The First Ladies with Abu Sandeep, which airs at 10 pm today, Nita recalled Mukesh’s proposal: “This was our sixth or seventh meeting... I was still very undecided... I had said, ‘I need to graduate and let’s think about it later’... and we were driving on Peddar Road [Mumbai] in his green Fiat and there’s a signal at Peddar Road and he stops the car there and this is at 7.30, peak time traffic, and I said, ‘What’s happening’ and he says, ‘Will you marry me?’ I said, ‘Mukesh! I really don’t know...’
He says, ‘Will you marry me?’ And there was this huge traffic at the back... so he says, ‘Tell me, otherwise I am not going to start the car...’ I said, ‘Yes, I will... I will.’”
“I was hooked by Mukesh, I was booked by Mukesh and I was cooked by Mukesh,” Nita said to another question. “Mukesh calls me his true life partner.... I just enjoy being Mukesh’s wife.”
She reminisced about the time she mistook Dhirubhai Ambani’s phone call to her as a prank call. “My father-in-law saw me at a dance performance. The next day, I got a phone call and the caller said, ‘I’m Dhirubhai Ambani... may I talk to Nita?’ I said, ‘It’s a wrong number’ and put down the phone. Then he called again... and I said, ‘If you’re Dhirubhai Ambani, then I’m Elizabeth Taylor.’”
As part of the show’s segment on ‘Confessions’, Nita was asked who came to mind when she heard these three words — love, kiss, kill. “Love means Mukesh”. Kiss: “My 17-year-old son refuses all hugs and kisses (I miss that now).” Kill: “I don’t think I want to kill anyone — I can’t even kill rats and cockroaches in my house!”
Asked to choose between the Khans, Shah Rukh and Aamir, Nita thoughtfully answered, “Rishi Kapoor has been my all-time favourite.” In a Q&A through video, Shah Rukh Khan asked Nita, “What is the the one thing that you would like to be remembered for.... Something you haven’t done yet?” Nita answered: “I always wanted to devote a certain part of my life to dance — my true being is to be a dancer.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Priyanka Chopra has said that she regrets endorsing fairness creams in India, but as a child she believed that dark skin wasn't pretty and would put talcum powder on her face.
- Pictures from Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal's sangeet function have been shared online by Zoa Morani. Check them out here.
- New pictures from Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal's mehendi ceremony have arrived online. Check them out here.
Akshay Oberoi: We lucked out as there were no Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar sort of big films releasing in 2020
Republic Day special | John Abraham: Honesty in playing a person who cares for his country comes naturally to me
- Varun Dhawan's wife, Natasha Dalal, got her wedding makeup done in 35 minutes, artist Namrata Soni has said.
- On the second anniversary of Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi, Kangana Ranaut has accused the movie 'mafia' of launching negative campaigns against her and the film.
- Remo D'Souza has shared a video of himself, dancing with his doctors, after recovering from a heart attack recently.