Top 5 websites that can replace Facebook!
It's time Facebook gears up for some serious competition! Google is rumoured to be launching a social networking website Google Me. Here's a list of websites that have the potential to replace Facebook.tech reviews Updated: Jul 17, 2010 15:17 IST
It's time Facebook gears up for some serious competition! Google is rumoured to be launching a social networking website Google Me. Here's a list of websites that have the potential to replace Facebook. Here is a list of few websites and interactive portals, with very interesting concepts, which are becoming popular - especially among the youth.
1) Mind Candy: It's a media and entertainment company that specializes in puzzle games. It varies from Sudoku-style logic puzzles to treasure hunts and alternate reality games. It includes games like Perplex City, which could be played simultaneously by thousands of people across the globe. It even has a game which allows children from 7-12 years to adopt their own pet monsters. It sure does offer candy to the mind!
2) ChannelFlip: This is an innovative concept which works like an online video magazine. A London-based webcasting site that offers magazine-style videos targets at 18 to 34 year old men. It creates and produces original content that is distributed through the website and podcasting.
3) LinkedIn: A business-oriented social networking site mainly used for professional networking. As of 21 June 2010, LinkedIn had more than 70 million registered users, spanning more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. The site which is a preferred network for many professionals is available in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.
4) Playfish: It's a very popular gaming concept that has been catching fire. It's a property of Electronic Arts (better known as EA), and a developer of free-to-play social network games. One of the most popular and addictive applications are 'Who has the Biggest Brain' which allows players to compete against each other on Facebook. Other applications include Pet Society, Restaurant City, Word Challenge and EA Sports FIFA Superstars.
5) Flirtomatic: A very unique and popular concept, Flirtomatic is an online flirting social networking service that allows members to discover new people on the basis of the preferences, interests, location and other information stored in their profile. It also has a feature that allows users to chat with other users, send rapid messages with graphics and photos. It even has its own virtual currency (FlirtPoints) that members can use to buy additional services, such as virtual goods. The service has 2 million registered 18+ users and over 1.2 million messages sent per day.
First Published: Jul 16, 2010 19:18 IST