All you need to know about the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus
At its annual September event, Apple announced upgrades to several products across its lineup, including its flagship device, the iPhone. In keeping with its usual naming convention, Apple’s new iPhones will be called the iPhone 6S and the iPhone 6S Plus.tech Updated: Sep 10, 2015 16:31 IST
At its annual September event, Apple announced upgrades to several products across its lineup, including its flagship device, the iPhone.
Here's everything you need to know about what's coming in the next iPhone:
In keeping with its usual naming convention, Apple’s new iPhones will be called the iPhone 6S and the iPhone 6S Plus.
* They will be powered by Apple’s latest A9 processor, which Apple claims, is 70% faster than the processor in the previous iPhone.
* Visually, they look identical to the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, coming in at 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch respectively, but there are numerous hardware enhancements that make them better than the previous generation iPhones.
* The biggest upgrade is a brand new feature called 3D Touch, which allows the iPhone display to not only detect your swipes and pinches but also detect three levels of pressure. This allows you to do things like press down on a homescreen icon to open up new shortcut menus (press down hard on the camera icon to get a shortcut to take a selfie, for instance) or get previews of apps without actually opening them.
* The iPhone 6S and the 6S Plus will also include a more refined version of the the Taptic engine that’s currently in the Apple Watch, so that 3D touching anything will generate a subtle, haptic feedback.
* Apple has upgraded the camera from 8 to 12 megapixels. The iPhone 6S and the 6S Plus can shoot video in 4K, a video format with a resolution that’s 4 times higher than regular high-definition 1080P video. The new camera is also capable of shooting panoramas up to 63 megapixels in size.
* You can now light up selfies with the Retina Flash: the screen flashes up to three times brighter than usual when you’re taking a selfie with the front camera in low light.
* There’s a new feature called Live Photos that lets you 3D touch a static image and see it move. The iPhone achieves this by automatically shooting video about one and a half second both before and after you start taking a picture.
* The iPhone 6S and the 6S Plus will be available in a brand new Rose Gold colour.
* You’ll be able to activate Siri on the iPhones hands-free – even when the phones aren’t charging (you can do this on current iPhones but they need to be plugged in).
* There is no change in the price or storage size. The new iPhone 6S will sell at $199, $299 and $399 for the 16, 64 and 128 GB versions with a 2-year contract in the United States. The iPhone 6S will be priced at $100 more for each model.
* Both phones will launch in a dozen countries on September 25, with pre-orders starting on September 12.
* They will run iOS 9, Apple’s latest version of its operating system for iPhones and iPads, which will be released on September 16 as a free download to users of existing Apple devices.
Apple unveils iPad Pro, iPhone 6S and new Apple TV
First Published: Sep 10, 2015 09:15 IST