Apple's iPad Pro: All that you should know
At Apple’s annual September keynote, where it announced new versions of its flagship iPhone and a brand new Apple TV, CEO Tim Cook said that the company asked itself a single question: How can we take the iPad even further?tech Updated: Dec 10, 2015 15:22 IST
At Apple’s annual September keynote, where it announced new versions of its flagship iPhone and a brand new Apple TV, CEO Tim Cook said that the company asked itself a single question: How can we take the iPad even further?
Apple answered that question by releasing the iPad Pro, which, said Cook, was “the biggest news in iPad since the iPad.”
The iPad Pro is a large iPad that goes head-to-head with a similar hybrid laptop-tablet from Microsoft, called the Surface Pro 3.
Here’s all you need to know about it:
1. At 12.9-inches, this is the biggest tablet that Apple has ever created. It’s last tablet, the iPad Air 2, was about 10-inches. The iPad Pro has a screen that’s even bigger than Apple’s smallest laptop, the MacBook Air (11-inches).
2. It’s powered by an A9X processor, which, Apple claims, is twice as fast as the processor on the iPad Air 2. Apple also claims that the iPad Pro is so fast it’s more powerful than 90% of the portable PCs shipped in the last year.
3. Apple is aiming this device specifically at enterprises and customers who need powerful, professional hardware for productivity. To this effect, it had executives from Adobe and Microsoft, companies that are known for productivity-focused software like Photoshop and Microsoft Office, demonstrate brand new apps and capabilities in their products on the iPad Pro.
4. To this effect, the iPad Pro supports two new accessories: a high-precision stylus called Apple Pencil, which can be used for drawing and sketching, and a keyboard that can be docked with the device to essentially convert it into a laptop-tablet hybrid like the Microsoft Surface.
5. The iPad Pro has four stereo speakers that automatically balance the left and right channels depending on which way you’re holding the iPad.
6. The device is 6.9mm thin and weighs about 700gm, which is roughly the weight of the very first iPad with a much smaller screen.
7. The battery life of the iPad Pro will be 10 hours.
8. Pricing: $799, $949 and $1070 for the 32 GB, 128 GB and 128 GB with LTE versions respectively. The Apple Pencil and the new iPad Pro keyboard will cost $99 and $169 respectively.
9. The device will go on sale in November.
Apple unveils iPad Pro, iPhone 6S and new Apple TV
First Published: Sep 10, 2015 10:38 IST