Home ministry’s website hacked, authorities take it offline
The Ministry of Home Affairs website was hacked on Sunday, prompting authorities to temporarily take it offline, an official said.Updated: Feb 12, 2017 14:20 IST
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
The Ministry of Home Affairs website was hacked on Sunday, prompting authorities to temporarily take it offline, an official said.
The MHA website was immediately taken down by the National Informatics Centre after the cyber attack was noticed.
Computer emergency response teams are looking into the incident, the official said. Further details were awaited.
Last month, suspected Pakistan-affiliated operatives had hacked the official website of the elite National Security Guard (NSG) and defaced it with a profanity-laden message against the Prime Minister and anti-India content.
In November last year the websites and databases of India’s consulates in the US, Europe and Africa were hacked and the private data was dumped online.
The leaked database, contained names, email IDs and phone numbers of mission staffers, was published on pastebin.com.
“The websites have a SQL vulnurability. Even a six-year-old could breach it,” the hacker, had told HT.
More than 700 websites of various central and state government departments were hacked in the past four years and a total of 8,348 persons were arrested for their involvement in cyber crimes, according to official data released this month.
First Published: Feb 12, 2017 13:47 IST