Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 14, 2018-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Watch: iPhone battery explodes in China after man bites it

Lesson of the day: Never ever bite a smartphone battery.

tech Updated: Jan 24, 2018 17:35 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
iPhone battery,iPhone battery explosion,man bites iPhone battery
Here’s why you should never bite a smartphone battery(JBey4you (YouTube))

You should never bite a smartphone battery. A man in China learned this hard way after he bit an iPhone battery which led to a big explosion. Luckily, nobody was injured.

Taiwan News reports that the incident took place in one of stores in China and the CCTC footage was posted on Chinese video sharing network miapai on January 20. Since then, the video has been watched more than 4.45 million times. The electronics store, unidentified, isn’t an Apple store.

In the video, you can see a group of customers surrounding a table with the demo products. Here, one man picks up an iPhone battery and simply bites it. Seconds later, it explodes in front of his face. The battery after the explosion flies in a direction where nobody is standing.

But you can see from the video, the explosion occurred in seconds and would have potentially hurt a person. It is believed that this man bit the iPhone’s battery to check its quality, a common myth.

It is widely believed that biting a battery makes it longer. In fact, a quick Google search shows several such posts on popular online forums including Quora and Reddit.

In all probability, this man could have bitten a faulty battery considering the widespread availability of fake electronic parts and products in China.

That said, smartphone battery explosion is certainly not a new phenomenon. Over the years, most of the smartphone companies including Samsung and Apple have faced such problems.

Samsung had to recall its Galaxy Note 7 after multiple reports of explosion. Earlier this month, a man was injured after an iPhone battery overheated, leading to an explosion at an Apple Store in Zurich.

First Published: Jan 24, 2018 17:31 IST