Xiaomi at MWC 2018: No press events scheduled during the conference
Xiaomi is unlikely to launch any new smartphone at the MWC 2018.tech Updated: Jan 29, 2018 13:35 IST
Chinese handset company Xiaomi is not going to hold any press event at the forthcoming Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2018, which starts on February 26 in Barcelona.
But the company said that it will be present at the MWC 2018 and will be showcasing its existing lineup of smartphones and other products, reported Indian Express.
“We are not organising any press events during MWC, but will have a booth at Hall 6 Stand 6B30. We will be showcasing a selection of smartphones and ecosystem products, please come and visit us there,” the company said in a statement.
Earlier, multiple reports had claimed that Xiaomi would a have a larger presence at the MWC 2018. It was also rumoured that the company would unveil a new generation Mi MIX smartphone.
Called Mi MIX 2S, the smartphone is expected to come with an all-glass front and be almost “100% bezel-less.”
There have also been rumours around the company launching a new flagship smartphone, Mi 7. But it seems highly unlikely now.
Another major announcement from Xiaomi was expected to be Surge 2S, an in-house designed and developed chipset. The successor to the original Surge chipset, the new processor is likely to power Xiaomi’s new lineup of mid-range smartphones, including the Mi A1 successor.
It won’t be the first time Xiaomi will not make any new announcements at the MWC.
While the company did launch Mi 5 in 2016 at the mobile conference, it skipped the MWC entirely the following year. Xiaomi launched Mi 6 in China in April, 2017.
At least this year, the company will have a booth.
The global footage
Conferences such as MWC generally bring a global attention to a company and its products. Samsung, LG and Sony have extensively capitalised on Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and MWC each year.
A quiet presence hints that Xiaomi is currently focused on its existing markets such as China and India.
Xiaomi had a rough start to 2017 with its Vice President Hugo Barra moving to Facebook and CEO Lei Jun confirming a shift in strategy after having “grown too fast.”
The company, however, does have plans to tap markets outside its home turf and India. Xiaomi last year secured a $1 billion loan from major banks including Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited, Deutsche Bank AG, and Wing Lung Bank, reported Xinhua. The money is expected to be spent on the company’s global expansion and retail development.