Stan Wawrinka, Milos Raonic put Australian Open participation in further doubt
Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic will not participate in the year-ending Mubadala World Tennis Championship (MWTC) through injury, once again raising doubts over their participation in the Australian Open.tennis Updated: Dec 20, 2017 18:57 IST
Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic have each withdrawn from the year-ending Mubadala World Tennis Championship (MWTC)through injury, heightening doubts over their readiness for next month’s Australian Open.
Wawrinka missed the US Open due to a knee injury, while Raonic sat out the final grand slam of 2017 due to a wrist problem before being sidelined again with adamaged calf.
On Wednesday, the MWTC’s official website revealed both players would not be present in Abu Dhabi next week.
Three-time slam-winner Wawrinka said: “Unfortunately I won’t be able to play in Abu Dhabi this year as I’m not ready yet to compete at this level.
Due to injuries, unfortunately @stanwawrinka & @milosraonic are unable to join us at this year’s Championship. Replacing them at #MWTC10, will be recent US Open finalist @KAndersonATP and one of the game’s most exciting talents @AndreyRublev97! #AywaAnderson #MarhabaAndrey— MWTC (@MubadalaTennis) December 20, 2017
“Together with my team, I’m working hard and we will do everything to be ready in time for the Australian Open.
“I’m sad that I won’t be able to play in front of the great fans at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship but I need to be patient and give my body the time it needs.”
Earlier this month, Wawrinka had said: “Thegoal is to play the Australian Open, even if I’m not 100 per cent.”