australian open 2021]
PUBLISHED ON FEB 23, 2021 09:49 PM IST
- The supremely gifted Russian is the perfect candidate to give the sport a big dose of what it has missed since the days of John McEnroe–a shot of spice amid the overload of syrup.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 10:21 AM IST
How many Grand Slams have Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer have won in their careers?
PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 09:32 AM IST
The 33-year-old extended his own record with an emphatic 7-5 6-2 6-2 victory over Daniil Medvedev at Rod Laver Arena on Sunday, despite carrying the injury suffered in the third round of the tournament.
By Rutvick Mehta
PUBLISHED ON FEB 22, 2021 08:03 AM IST
- A one-sided final notwithstanding, Djokovic braves a 3rd round abdomen injury making it his hardest Slam victory.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 11:01 PM IST
Victory over Daniil Medvedev gave world number one Djokovic his 18th major and the 33-year-old champion is now two shy of Federer and Nadal who have won a men's record 20 each.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 09:13 PM IST
Back then, Djokovic already had been ranked No. 1 and was accumulating Grand Slam titles; Medvedev had yet to crack the Top 300.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 09:05 PM IST
He said he was not sure he could keep competing until about two hours before his next match and at that point did not think winning the championship was realistic.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 04:51 PM IST
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
UPDATED ON FEB 20, 2021 10:24 AM IST
Daniil Medvedev also lost his first career Grand Slam final at the U.S. Open. And now he will try to win in his second try, which comes at the Australian Open on Sunday — against Djokovic.
By Rutvick Mehta
PUBLISHED ON FEB 20, 2021 09:54 AM IST
- Four of the last six women’s singles Grand Slam champions have been first-time finalists
PUBLISHED ON FEB 19, 2021 03:26 PM IST
The 24-year-old Australian will be the top seed at the $535,530 event, scheduled to be held from Feb. 22-27, at the Memorial Drive Tennis Centre in South Australia.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 19, 2021 11:34 AM IST
While some of those in hard quarantine complained about not being able to train before the Grand Slam, Brady likened it to a long decompression session that probably helped her bulldoze through the draw against better-prepared players.
By Rutvick Mehta
PUBLISHED ON FEB 19, 2021 07:55 AM IST
- Until Thursday, when Naomi Osaka blunted that very power game with equal and greater force, thrashing Williams 6-3, 6-4 in the semi-finals. It extended the 39-year-old’s Grand Slam draught to four years.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 18, 2021 01:23 PM IST
- Brady dug herself out of a mid-match hole to reach her first Grand Slam decider.
UPDATED ON FEB 18, 2021 10:30 AM IST
- Australian Open: Osaka won the game in straight sets beating the 23-time Grand Slam winner 6-3, 6-4.
UPDATED ON FEB 17, 2021 05:14 PM IST
The 20-time Grand Slam champion flubbed two overheads in the tiebreaker and also framed a backhand. Nadal pushed another backhand long on the last point of that set.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 17, 2021 12:39 PM IST
It was Rublev's fourth straight defeat to Medvedev, who has not lost a match since October.
By Rutvick Mehta
PUBLISHED ON FEB 17, 2021 11:53 AM IST
- The 27-year-old defeated 18th seed Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov 2-6, 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 in the quarter-finals, a third straight victory against a seeded player at Melbourne Park.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 17, 2021 11:18 AM IST
Brady was a picture of anguish early in the clash on a stifling day at Rod Laver Arena but gradually dialled in her power game before crushing Pegula in the final set.
UPDATED ON FEB 17, 2021 09:11 AM IST
- Karolina Muchova staged a stunning comeback Thursday to upset World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 11:05 PM IST
The Romanian world number two went out in straight sets at the hands of 23-times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams on Rod Laver Arena on Tuesday after her serve let her down at a couple of pivotal moments.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 07:33 PM IST
The top-ranked Novac Djokovic has never lost at Melbourne Park after making it to the last four.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 05:09 PM IST
The 18th seed, who had raced through the first four rounds in Melbourne without dropping a set, took a medical timeout after losing the third set but it did little to improve the situation.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 03:33 PM IST
Williams claimed the last five games and beat No. 2 seed Simona Halep 6-3, 6-3 in the quarterfinals despite 33 unforced errors. She set up a showdown with Naomi Osaka for a spot in the final.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 01:07 PM IST
- Nadal is 6-1 against the 22-year-old Tsitsipas, including a 6-2, 6-4, 6-0 win in the 2019 semifinals at Melbourne Park.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 12:59 PM IST
- The 114th-ranked qualifier from Russia become the first man in the professional era to reach the semifinals in his Grand Slam debut.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 16, 2021 11:45 AM IST
- Osaka overpowered Hsieh Su-Wei 6-2, 6-2 Tuesday to reach the semifinals, and will meet the winner of the quarterfinal match between Williams and No. 2-seeded Simona Halep.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 09:51 PM IST
Williams, 39, is among three Americans who have made it to the quarter-finals at Melbourne Park this year and Wednesday's clash between Jennifer Brady and Jessica Pegula has ensured that at least one from the country will be in the last four.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 05:41 PM IST
Mertens, seeded 18th at Melbourne Park, came into the contest having won 30 matches since the women's tour restarted in August – the most by any player during that period.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 04:32 PM IST
Berrettini suffered the injury during his win against Russian Karen Khachanov in the third round on Saturday.