By Trisha Sengupta
PUBLISHED ON APR 09, 2021 11:48 AM IST
Shared by journalist Sadiq ‘Sameer’ Bhat, the picture of this unusual gesture has left people emotional.
PUBLISHED ON APR 09, 2021 08:04 AM IST
Brazil's outbreak is spiraling out of control, with vaccines in short supply and Bolsonaro fighting lockdowns.
PUBLISHED ON APR 08, 2021 03:32 PM IST
By hindustantimes.com | Written by Kunal Gaurav
PUBLISHED ON APR 04, 2021 10:56 PM IST
- More than 130 million cases of coronavirus and over 2.84 million related deaths have been reported so far, according to the Coronavirus Resource Center of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
AFP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON APR 02, 2021 09:53 PM IST
The measures, which entered into force two weeks ago and were due to expire on Sunday, had contributed to hospital admissions starting to level off for the first time in weeks, mayor Eduardo Paes told reporters.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 31, 2021 05:35 AM IST
- The Defense Ministry reported the resignations — apparently unprecedented since at least the end of military rule 36 years ago — in a statement released without giving reasons.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 30, 2021 05:10 AM IST
The shake-up comes the week after Bolsonaro replaced former health minister Eduardo Pazuello, an army general with no medical experience, with cardiologist Marcelo Queiroga, his fourth health minister of the pandemic.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 28, 2021 10:48 PM IST
- In a statement on its website, Anvisa said that Uniao Quimica, the company that will manufacture the shots in Brazil, did not present the necessary documentation.
ANI | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 28, 2021 01:55 PM IST
Brazil is currently one of the global epicenters of the Covid-19 pandemic, with the world's second-worst outbreak in terms of both deaths and infections, only after the United States.
ANI | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 28, 2021 12:16 PM IST
The new restrictions on travel will come into force on Wednesday, March 31, the ministry specified, adding that the measures were prompted by the discovery of the Brazilian strain in the country.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 27, 2021 09:31 PM IST
- The nation’s seven-day average of 2,400 deaths stands to reach to 3,000 within weeks, six experts told the Associated Press. That’s nearly the worst level seen by the US, though Brazil has two-thirds its population. Spikes of daily deaths could soon hit 4,000; on Friday there were 3,650.
Posted by hindustantimes.com | Edited by Joydeep Bose
PUBLISHED ON MAR 23, 2021 03:26 PM IST
The latest wave of Covid-19, fueled by a local, more contagious variant of the coronavirus, is pushing many Brazilian hospitals to the breaking point
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Kunal Gaurav
PUBLISHED ON MAR 21, 2021 10:57 PM IST
- The United States has recorded nearly 29.8 million Covid-19 cases and more than 541,980 related deaths so far.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 21, 2021 11:44 AM IST
Brazil has already received 4 million doses from SII, Saudi Arabia 3 million doses and Morocco 7 million, according to India's foreign ministry. The three countries had ordered 20 million each.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 20, 2021 10:22 AM IST
- The national security law, which dates from 1983, near the end of the country's military dictatorship, makes it a crime to harm the heads of the three branches of government or expose them to danger. The vague measure has recently been used to detain or investigate Bolsonaro critics.
Reuters | | Written by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 17, 2021 06:35 PM IST
The Datafolha poll published by the Folha de S.Paulo newspaper late on Tuesday showed 54% of respondents regard Bolsonaro's handling of the crisis as bad or very bad.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 17, 2021 01:12 PM IST
- Marcelo Queiroga will replace Eduardo Pazuello, an active-duty army general with expertise in logistics who landed the position last May despite having no prior health experience.
Reuters | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 15, 2021 07:29 PM IST
Following the most deadly week in Brazil since the pandemic began a year ago, health minister Eduardo Pazuello's job appears to be on the line, even though the government denied in a statement that he has turned in his resignation.
By hindustantimes.com | Written by Harshit Sabarwal
UPDATED ON MAR 14, 2021 02:49 PM IST
Brazil is currently facing the worst phase of the pandemic. Infections and deaths have spiked after the year-end gatherings and clandestine carnival festivities, according to news agency Bloomberg.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 13, 2021 10:17 AM IST
Over the past 24 hours, the Latin American country has registered 85,663 new Covid-19 cases, with the total number has reached 11,363,389. India, which previously came second, has recorded 11,308,846 coronavirus cases.
AP | | Written by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 11, 2021 11:06 AM IST
For the last week, Brazilian governors sought to do something President Jair Bolsonaro obstinately rejects: cobble together a proposal for states to help curb the nation’s deadliest Covid-19 outbreak yet.
UPDATED ON MAR 09, 2021 08:23 AM IST
Pfizer has said it believes its current Covid-19 vaccine is highly likely to still protect against the South African variant but is planning to test a third booster dose of it as well as a version retooled specifically to combat the variant in order to better understand the immune response
Bloomberg | | Posted by Kunal Gaurav
PUBLISHED ON MAR 05, 2021 07:36 PM IST
This week, as Brazil reported back-to-back record deaths from the virus, Bolsonaro welcomed allies for a lunch in Brasilia.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 05:21 PM IST
- The city of 6.7 million people will impose a curfew from 11 pm to 5 am
PUBLISHED ON MAR 03, 2021 07:48 AM IST
The Health Ministry reported 1,641 people died from the disease in the last 24 hours. Brazil is among the hardest-hit countries globally, with 10,646,926 confirmed cases and 257,361 deaths from Covid-19.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 02, 2021 07:46 AM IST
The findings of a new research show a connection between extreme rains and lower birth weights and even premature births in Brazil's Amazon region.
By hindustantimes.com | Written by Deepali Sharma
UPDATED ON MAR 01, 2021 08:31 PM IST
The cause of concern in the P.1 variant is the three key mutations out of 17 mutations in its spike protein receptor domain-K417T, E484K, and N501Y says CDC.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2021 08:45 PM IST
"The company is delighted to partner with Brazil in its battle against Covid-19 and aid its immunization program against the virus," Bharat Biotech said in a statement.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 23, 2021 09:13 AM IST
The last few days have marked a dramatic about-face for Bolsonaro, a right-wing populist whose interventionist instincts until now had been largely contained by economically conservative allies.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 21, 2021 01:20 PM IST
Forty-two-year-old Vanderlei Rodrigues, who opened the business, said he has received a fair number of customers wanting to vent, especially during the pandemic.