By Anonna Dutt, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JUN 05, 2021 07:19 AM IST
- Late on Thursday, Public Health England (PHE) updated its technical analysis of the variant to say that the variant that was first found in India is more likely to lead to hospitalisations than the variant that has been predominant in the UK.
Reuters | , Hanoi
PUBLISHED ON MAY 29, 2021 10:14 AM IST
- "After running gene sequencing on newly detected patients, we have discovered a new variant that is a mix of India and UK ones," Nguyen Thanh Long was quoted as saying.
Reuters | , London
PUBLISHED ON MAY 19, 2021 03:27 PM IST
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday warned that the emergence of the B.1.617.2 variant might derail his plans to lift England's lockdown fully on June 21 but said that it all depended on the degree to which it spread.
UPDATED ON MAY 10, 2021 12:19 AM IST
For the second day in a row, India registered more than 4,000 daily Covid-19 fatalities on Sunday, taking the cumulative death toll to 242,362. More than 4 lakh new cases were also recorded, which pushed the infection tally to 22,296,414.
By Rhythma Kaul, New Delhi
UPDATED ON MAY 06, 2021 08:24 AM IST
- “A phase three is inevitable, given the high levels of circulating virus, but it is not clear on what time scale this phase 3 will occur."
PUBLISHED ON MAY 05, 2021 09:48 AM IST
India, battling the more infectious second wave of the coronavirus disease, has now registered over 300,000 daily Covid-19 cases for two weeks straight.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 05, 2021 08:32 AM IST
The Allahabad high court observed the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) situation in India and said that the deaths of patients due to non-supply of oxygen amounts to a 'criminal act', nothing short of a 'genocide'.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 04, 2021 09:32 AM IST
Tuesday's numbers show that India has now been clocking more than 300,000 daily Covid-19 cases for 13 days straight, with the health system crumbling under the weight of new coronavirus cases and hospitals continuing to report a shortage of ICU beds and medical oxygen.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 03, 2021 03:58 PM IST
Rahul Gandhi has been highlighting "high costs" for the Covid-19 vaccines. He had also criticised the prime minister Narendra Modi-led government for robbing people of his friends.
UPDATED ON MAY 03, 2021 11:23 PM IST
On Monday, the country recorded as many as 368,147 new Covid-19 cases in 24 hours, pushing the total coronavirus infection tally close to the 20-million mark. Although grim, today's daily spike indicates a sharp decline from the nearly four lakh new cases recorded a day ago.
PUBLISHED ON MAY 03, 2021 07:19 AM IST
Of the total 2,829 new deaths in Jharkhand, 45 casualties occurred in state capital Ranchi.
AFP | , Venice
PUBLISHED ON APR 26, 2021 09:57 PM IST
The news follows reports of another case in the central region of Tuscany last month, and comes after the Italian government banned arrivals from the virus-hit country.
PUBLISHED ON APR 23, 2021 01:08 PM IST
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 03:13 PM IST
"When a lockdown is imposed in a rush, without preparation, and to cover your own failures, then this is how the arrangements cripple and people are disturbed," Sidharth Nath Singh said.
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 12:10 PM IST
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the UP government plea today itself, news agencies reported. The Allahabad high court had on Monday imposed Covid-19 curbs on five cities in Uttar Pradesh -- Prayagraj, Lucknow, Varanasi, Kanpur Nagar, and Gorakhpur -- till April 26.
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 11:11 AM IST
The money would be given as an incentive to doctors serving the Covid-19 patients, in addition to their salaries, Pune Zilla Parishad CEO Ayush Prasad said.
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 11:02 AM IST
Entry for the following stations have been temporarily closed to ensure social distancing as part of the DMRC's "crowd control measures": Jhandewalan, R K Ashram Marg, Karkardooma, Preet Vihar, Nirman Vihar, Supreme Court, Anand Vihar, ISBT, Vaishali." However, exit for all stations is allowed.
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 10:00 AM IST
- Kangana Ranaut has called those who are feeling 'angry, rattled, depressed' by the pandemic 'fools' and 'idiots' who are 'throwing their weight around'.
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 09:59 AM IST
Prime Minister Modi's meeting on Tuesday is scheduled to be held through video conferencing at 6pm. Those expected to be present are representatives of top vaccine manufacturers from India and abroad, including the companies whose Covid-19 vaccines have already been approved by the government
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 08:50 AM IST
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion at 9am on Tuesday. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
PUBLISHED ON APR 20, 2021 07:22 AM IST
Haryana: Among the districts that reported a big spike in Covid-19 cases are Gurugram (1,809), Faridabad (1,080), Sonipat (588), Hisar (527) and Panipat (351) districts.
By Rhythma Kaul, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON APR 20, 2021 02:23 AM IST
The analysis also found that in both the waves, 70% of those hospitalised were above 40.
PUBLISHED ON APR 19, 2021 10:55 AM IST
- Pooja Bedi, who has been endorsing alternative medicine as a valid deterrent against the coronavirus, has been responding to her detractors on Twitter.
PUBLISHED ON APR 19, 2021 10:33 AM IST
Maharashtra, with over 670,000 active Covid-19 cases, tops the list, followed by Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka and Chhattisgarh, with more than one lakh active cases. Next are Kerala, Delhi, and Tamil Nadu, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat, which have between 100,000-60,000 active cases.
PUBLISHED ON APR 19, 2021 08:37 AM IST
The Covid-19 risk factors, which include diabetes, old age, smoking, and certain cardiovascular and chronic respiratory diseases, are likely to make an individual more likely to contract the coronavirus disease.
By hindustantimes.com, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON APR 18, 2021 11:16 PM IST
- States record highest ever daily spike of Covid-19 cases and fatalities as the second wave sweeps through the nation causing acute shortages
By hindustantimes.com | Written by Meenakshi Ray, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON APR 17, 2021 10:21 AM IST
The coronavirus disease has affected 140,531,290 and killed 3,012,206 across 219 countries and territories in the world, according to worldometers.info.
- The analysis shows for the first time how the detection of various variants of the coronavirus may have changed.
AP | , Milan
PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 11:25 PM IST
- Europe recorded 1 million new COVID-19 cases last week, an increase of 9% from the previous week and a reversal that ended a six-week decline in new infections, WHO said Thursday.
PTI | , London
UPDATED ON MAR 06, 2021 04:22 PM IST
In the current study, published in the journal Cell Immunology, the researchers sequenced 750 genomes of the novel coronavirus from infected individuals and analysed mutations for their potential to alter T cell epitopes.