UPDATED ON APR 12, 2021 04:06 PM IST
To smooth investment into Thailand and make it easier for foreigners to live and work, Thailand’s government could revamp immigration rules this year to boost tourism revenue once the Covid-19 pandemic eases.
UPDATED ON APR 10, 2021 09:42 AM IST
Thailand is betting on a return of foreign visitors to rescue its economy from its worst performance in more than two decades but here's what the tourists are required to do first to shorten the quarantine
PUBLISHED ON APR 05, 2021 02:06 PM IST
- The coronavirus outbreak in the country has shut a small construction firm where she worked for $10 a day for much needed extra income.
PUBLISHED ON APR 05, 2021 07:45 AM IST
- The island of Phuket aims to deliver shots to at least 460,000 people - most of its population - as it gears up for July 1, when vaccinated overseas visitors will no longer be required to quarantine.
Reuters | , Bangkok
PUBLISHED ON APR 02, 2021 03:34 PM IST
- Thailand potentially has more at stake in Myanmar than any other member of ASEAN, as it shares a 2,400-km border that is also Myanmar's longest with any neighbour.
AFP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 31, 2021 03:55 PM IST
If convicted, the group could face the death penalty or life in prison under a law that has not been used for decades and punishes any "act of violence against the queen or her liberty".
AP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 30, 2021 05:13 PM IST
“There is no influx of refugees yet. We asked those who crossed to Thailand if they have any problem in their area. When they say no problem, we just asked them to return to their land first. We asked, we did not use any force,”Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 30, 2021 04:06 PM IST
- “There is no influx of refugees yet. We asked those who crossed to Thailand if they have any problem in their area. When they say no problem, we just asked them to return to their land first. We asked, we did not use any force,” Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters.
Reuters | , Bangkok
PUBLISHED ON MAR 26, 2021 03:27 PM IST
Tourism-reliant Thailand is racing to secure vaccines for its population and reopen the country to foreigners in a pilot project for vaccine passports.
Bloomberg | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 23, 2021 04:44 PM IST
The cabinet approved a 250 billion baht ($8.1 billion) soft loan program that will allow small and medium enterprises to access credit at below-market rate.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 22, 2021 02:32 PM IST
Thailand's vaccination drive is targeting the inoculation of half of its adult population by the end of the year using 61 million doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine, which will be locally produced from June.
AP | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal, Bangkok
PUBLISHED ON MAR 21, 2021 12:15 PM IST
The rally outside Bangkok's Grand Palace was a continuation of student-led protests that began last year and have rattled Thailand's traditional establishment, which is fiercely opposed to change, especially with regard to the monarchy.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 18, 2021 07:37 PM IST
An official from the Karen National Union (KNU), which has been fighting the Myanmar army for decades, said almost a thousand people were sheltering inside KNU-controlled territory.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 13, 2021 05:30 PM IST
Elephants are a source of national pride and cultural identity for Thailand.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 12, 2021 11:03 AM IST
The Asian nation is the first country outside of Europe suspending the use of the AstraZeneca shot, while several countries including Canada, Australia, the Philippines and South Korea said they would go ahead.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 08:48 PM IST
- Vaccinations must be administered within three months of the travel period and travellers will be required to show negative Covid-19 test results.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 08, 2021 05:17 PM IST
- The sedition charges, which carry a maximum penalty of up to seven years in prison, stem from an antigovernment rally in September, though details on the alleged offenses were not immediately clear.
UPDATED ON MAR 08, 2021 04:55 PM IST
Ahead of wider reopening plans and easing of quarantine for vaccinated tourists, Thailand backs the proposal to issue vaccine passports to boost tourism amid Covid-19
PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 07:43 PM IST
- A youth-led protest movement sprang up last year calling for the resignation of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, a former junta leader, and reform of the powerful monarchy. Thai courts have denied recent requests for bail for some of the jailed protest leaders.
Reuters | | Posted by Harshit Sabarwal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 06, 2021 03:01 PM IST
A youth-led protest movement sprang up last year calling for the resignation of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, a former junta leader, and reform of the powerful monarchy, and a clash between police and protesters last week was the most serious so far.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 08:42 PM IST
- Marking the first time it had taken down Thai accounts alleged to be linked to the government, Facebook said on Wednesday it had removed a Thailand-based network that included 77 accounts, 72 pages and 18 groups on Facebook and 18 accounts on Instagram, citing "coordinated inauthentic behaviour".
AP | , Bangkok
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 01:26 PM IST
- Facebook says the network of accounts originated in Thailand and targeted domestic audiences in its southern provinces, where the army faces a longstanding insurgency movement.
UPDATED ON MAR 04, 2021 07:27 AM IST
The authorities in Thailand have taken out a national inoculation program and are looking into coronavirus vaccine passports so that they are able to welcome back international tourists soon.
By hindustantimes.com | Edited by Mallika Soni
UPDATED ON MAR 03, 2021 04:15 PM IST
- When Niamrin inspected the mass, she found that it smelled like fish. Unaware of what the mass was, she brought it back home with her. The mass could be worth over $250,000
PUBLISHED ON MAR 03, 2021 01:31 PM IST
- Chaiamorn is charged under a strict lese majeste law that carries a penalty of up to 15 years in prison if found guilty, as well as arson and trespassing on government property.
Reuters | , Bangkok
PUBLISHED ON FEB 28, 2021 08:43 AM IST
Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, 66, attended the event, although his age falls outside the range of 18 to 59 suitable to receive SinoVac's CoronaVac vaccine, so he did not get it.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 24, 2021 07:58 PM IST
The verdicts can be appealed to a higher court but under the law the Cabinet ministers must relinquish their jobs immediately.
PUBLISHED ON FEB 23, 2021 06:46 PM IST
Thailand will receive the first 200,000 of two million doses of Sinovac Biotech's CoronaVac on Wednesday. The Chinese vaccine was given emergency use authorisation on Monday.
UPDATED ON FEB 22, 2021 04:40 PM IST
While Thailand approves a proposal for the 10th extension of the nationwide state of emergency to contain the Covid-19 outbreak ahead of coronavirus vaccination drive, bars and nightclubs can now reopen and serve liquor to patrons until 11 pm
AP | , Bangkok
PUBLISHED ON FEB 20, 2021 10:38 AM IST
It is the second no-confidence test Prayuth’s govt faced since taking office in July 2019, following a contested election after Prayuth seized power in a 2014 coup as the army chief.