UN expresses concern over ‘dramatic turn’ in Libya crisis

“Libya is witnessing a dramatic turn of events that underlines the urgent need to return to a full and inclusive political process,” the UN support mission in Libya said.
Libyans protest over the announcement of suspension of Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha during an anti-government protest in Misrata, Libya.(REUTERS)
Libyans protest over the announcement of suspension of Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha during an anti-government protest in Misrata, Libya.(REUTERS)
Updated on Aug 29, 2020 05:38 PM IST
Copy Link
Cairo | ByAssociated Press | Posted by Arpan Rai

The United Nations on Saturday voiced alarm over what it called “a dramatic turn of events” in Libya’s civil war, after a power struggle between leaders of the Tripoli-based government surfaced in the wake of anti-corruption protests.

“Libya is witnessing a dramatic turn of events that underlines the urgent need to return to a full and inclusive political process,” the UN support mission in Libya said.

Protests over deteriorating economic conditions erupted earlier this week in the capital and elsewhere in western Libya, which is controlled by forces loyal to the UN-supported government.

In Tripoli, local militia allied with the government opened fire on the demonstrators using rifles and truck-mounted guns, and abducted some of the protesters.

Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj and his interior minister, Fathi Bashaga, initially accused “outlawed infiltrators” over the violence. The prime minister also said the protesters “did not obtain necessary permits” for their rally and described their demonstrations as “riots.”

However on Friday, Sarraj suspended Bashaga and referred him to an administrative investigation after the interior minister accused a government-allied militia of attacking the peaceful protesters in Tripoli this week.

Bashaga, who was excluded from two high-profile military and security meetings in the capital over the past few days, quickly responded. He said in a statement he accepted the premier’s decision but demanded a public and live questioning “to expose the facts” of the incident.

The UN mission in Libya said it was still concerned about “the excessive use of force against demonstrators as well as the arbitrary arrest of a number of civilians.” It did not say how many people were detained.

Over the past two days, militias sealed off main streets and roads to prevent the demonstrators from reaching Tripoli’s Martyrs Square, the epicenter of the protests, according to two residents who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear reprisals.

A group of women however protested in the city center before being dispersed. Two women were wounded and four others were arrested, according to the protest movement, known as “Hirak August 23.”

The movement called for civil disobedience until achieving their demands that include handing over power to the Supreme Judicial Council to work towards presidential and parliamentary elections.

Protests also spread to the southern town of Sabah and the eastern town of Quba, both under the control of rival east-based Libyan forces led by Khalifa Hifter.

The UN also said it is concerned about “on-going human rights violations and abuses” in the coastal city of Sirte, which is controlled by Hifter’s forces since January. It said at least one civilian was killed and several others were arrested.

“The prolific use of hate speech and incitement to violence appears designed to further divide Libyans, increase polarization and tear at the country’s social fabric,” the UN mission said.

Oil-rich Libya was plunged into chaos when a NATO-backed uprising in 2011 toppled longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi, who was later killed. The country is now split between rival east- and west-based administrations, each backed by different armed groups and foreign governments.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • China's President Xi Jinping delivers a speech after arriving for the upcoming handover anniversary by train in Hong Kong, Thursday, June 30, 2022. (AP/PTI)

    'Risen from the ashes...': What Xi Jinping said in Hong Kong today

    Hong Kong has 'risen from the ashes', China president Xi Jinping said Thursday on a rare visit to the former British colony. Xi Jinping's was in Hong Kong to celebrate 25 year since it was returned to China and administer the oath of office to the global financial hub's new leader, John Lee. Today was Xi Jinping's first visit to Hong Kong since 2017.

  • Taliban fighters stand guard in Kabul, the capital city of Afghanistan.

    Gunfire, explosions heard near Afghan grand assembly ‘loya jirga’ in Kabul

    Chaos erupted in Kabul as several explosions and gunfires were reported close to the hall where the 'Loya Jirga' or the grand assembly of religious scholars and elders is underway, local media reported. The exact cause and location of the gunfire is not clear yet. The Freedom Fighters Front in its statement said that its 'special forces' had attacked the Taliban gathering. But the Taliban regime has not said anything, Aamaj News English, reported.

  • An airplane takes off from Billy Bishop Airport after Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that passengers will require Covid-19 vaccination for air, ship and interprovincial train services, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (REUTERS)

    Canada extends Covid border restrictions to Sept 30

    Canada extended all existing Covid-related border restrictions till at least September 30 this year, the government announced on Wednesday. The restrictions include a mandatory 14-day quarantine for everyone except the fully vaccinated, which in this case means having taken the primary series of two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine approved by Canadian health authorities. Those not considered fully vaccinated will also be tested on the first and eighth days after their entry into Canada.

  • Congo's army has been locked in heavy fighting since late May with the M23 rebel group, which is waging its most sustained offensive since a 2012-2013 insurrection that seized vast swathes of territory.

    Kidnapped Congo woman forced to cook, eat human flesh twice: Rights group to UN 

    A Congolese woman was kidnapped twice by militants in the Democratic Republic of Congo, repeatedly raped and forced to cook and eat human flesh, a Congolese rights group told the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday. Julienne Lusenge, president of women's rights group Female Solidarity for Integrated Peace and Development (SOFEPADI), told the woman's story while addressing the 15-member council about the conflict-torn east of Congo.

  • A Chinese flag is seen near surveillance cameras outside the Beijing No. 2 Intermediate People's Court in Beijing, China, on March 31, 2022. (REUTERS/FILE)

    Emojis increasingly being used as evidence in Chinese courts: Report

    Emojis - the tiny and trendy digital images used to denote emotion in digital communication - are increasingly being used as evidence in Chinese courts, a local media report said this week. Chinese courts have taken cognizance of emojis in at least 158 cases filed across the country since 2018. The number of cases where lawyers presented emojis as evidence rose from eight in 2018 to 61 in 2021.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, June 30, 2022