US calls back diplomats from Lahore after threats
The state department has warned Americans not to travel to Pakistan and evacuated nonessential government personnel from the country's second largest city because of a specific threat to the consulate there, a US official said Friday.Updated: Aug 10, 2013, 01:25 IST
The state department has warned Americans not to travel to Pakistan and evacuated nonessential government personnel from the country's second largest city because of a specific threat to the consulate there, a US official said Friday.
The move was not related to the threat of an al Qaeda attack that prompted Washington to close temporarily 19 diplomatic posts in the Middle East and Africa.
According to US Embassy spokeswoman Meghan Gregonis, the US is shifting its nonessential staff from the consulate in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore to the capital, Islamabad.
Emergency personnel will stay in Lahore, and embassy officials do not know when the consulate will reopen, she said."We received information regarding a threat to the consulate," said Gregonis. "As a precautionary measure, we are undertaking a drawdown of all except emergency personnel."
The consulate in Lahore was already scheduled to be closed for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr from Thursday through Sunday.
The personnel drawdown at the Lahore consulate was precautionary and wasn't related to the recent closures of numerous US diplomatic missions in the Muslim world, said two US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the order.
Earlier this week, 19 US diplomatic outposts in 16 countries in the Middle East and Africa were closed to the public through Saturday and nonessential personnel were evacuated from the US Embassy in Yemen after US intelligence officials said they had intercepted a recent message from al Qaeda's top leader about plans for a major terror attack.
None of the consulates in Pakistan or the US Embassy in Islamabad were affected by the earlier closures.
On Thursday, the State Department issued a travel warning saying the presence of several foreign and indigenous terrorist groups posed a potential danger to US citizens throughout Pakistan.
The country has faced a bloody insurgency by the Pakistani Taliban and their allies in recent years that has killed over 40,000 civilians and security personnel, and is also believed to be home base for al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri. Most of the militant attacks have been in the northwest and southwest along the border with Afghanistan.
Gunmen killed six people and wounded 15 others Friday in an attack on a former lawmaker outside a mosque in Quetta, the capital of southwest Baluchistan province, said police officer Bashir Ahmad Barohi. The lawmaker escaped unharmed. A day earlier, a Taliban suicide bomber killed 30 people at a police funeral in Quetta.
Pakistan's major cities, including Lahore, have also experienced periodic attacks.
A powerful bomb exploded at a busy market street in Lahore in early July, killing at least four people and wounding nearly 50.
Lahore is considered Pakistan's cultural capital and has a population of at least 10 million people.
A CIA contractor shot to death two Pakistanis in Lahore in January 2011 who he said were trying to rob him. The incident severely damaged relations between Pakistan and the US.
The contractor, Raymond Davis, was released by Pakistan in March 2011 after the families of the victims were paid over $2 million.