TOKYO OLYMPICS 2020]
UPDATED ON JUL 27, 2021 03:47 PM IST
The Olympics may officially be without supporters but at venues across Tokyo national delegations have brought the noise, replacing fans kept out by coronavirus countermeasures.
UPDATED ON JUL 27, 2021 03:35 PM IST
Much like the reception at the Indira Gandhi International Airport on Monday, Mirabai Chanu was met with media frenzy at the Bir Tikendrajit International Airport in Imphal.
PTI | , Tokyo
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 03:26 PM IST
Claims by runners originally from South Sudan about a controlling management style and being denied chances to earn money from races and sponsors were detailed this month by Time magazine.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 02:37 PM IST
- NRAI president Raninder said there is a need for an overhaul in the coaching and support staff after most of the Indian shooters failed to qualify for the medal rounds.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 01:50 PM IST
The entries were to be finalised on Tuesday morning and the cut was expected to be between 50-60. The Indians did not even have faint hopes of getting into the easiest of tennis events at the Games.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 01:08 PM IST
- Seldom one's best performance comes in a losing cause but it is different when one is facing arguably the greatest player of all time.
Reuters | , Tokyo
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 12:58 PM IST
Tokyo 2020: Japan's Naomi Osaka acknowledged that she had been under pressure to perform, but was nonetheless satisfied with her maiden outing at the Olympics.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 12:42 PM IST
- Coach Dean Boxall flipped out after his swimmer Ariarne Titmus clinched gold in the 400m freestyle ahead of fierce American rival Katie Ledecky on Monday.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 12:00 PM IST
Tokyo Olympics: Moments before the Indian pair stepped on the court, Lee and Wang had completed a three-game win over Sukamuljo and Gideon in the preceding group match, rendering the result of India's contest against Britain inconsequential.
UPDATED ON JUL 27, 2021 12:11 PM IST
Lovlina, the lone Indian boxer in action on the day, prevailed 3-2 over her rival who is 12 years her senior. Both the boxers were making their Games debut and the Indian became the first from her nine-strong team to make the quarterfinal stage.
UPDATED ON JUL 27, 2021 10:59 AM IST
The Table Tennis Federation of India Secretary General Arun Kumar Banerjee has made it clear that Manika Batra's refusal to have national coach Soumyadeep Roy by her side during matches at the Tokyo Olympics will be taken up for discussion once the contingent returns to India.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 10:38 AM IST
- Osaka, who lit the Olympic cauldron during the opening ceremony, struggled in an error-strewn display under the centre court roof at Ariake Tennis Park and was knocked out in 68 minutes.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 10:07 AM IST
- Olympics 2020: The Greek third seed downed American Tiafoe 6-3, 6-4 under the centre court roof at Ariake Tennis Park, where all play on outside courts was delayed an hour by morning drizzle.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 09:55 AM IST
- Tokyo Olympics: the 21-year-old swam the race of his life at the Tokyo Aquatic Centre to lead the first British one-two since 1908, which was also the last time the team won gold in the event.
UPDATED ON JUL 27, 2021 09:21 AM IST
India, ranked fourth in the world, had earlier defeated New Zealand 3-2 in their opening fixture. Spain, on the other hand, are yet to register a win in the competition.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 08:38 AM IST
- The 17-year-old swam a scintillating final 50m to touch in 1min 04.95sec and edge South Africa's Tatjana Schoenmaker (1:05.22) into second, with King having to settle for bronze in 1:05.54.
PUBLISHED ON JUL 27, 2021 08:19 AM IST
Duffy, 33, was part of a group of seven who broke clear at the start of the 40km bike but then stamped her authority on the race with a fantastic performance over the 10km run to finish in one hour, 53.36 minutes.
UPDATED ON JUL 27, 2021 07:31 AM IST
Tokyo 2020: The duo finished seventh in Qualification 2 after topping the first phase with 582 at the Asaka Range. They lost the plot completely when the top eight teams battled it out in the second phase.
UPDATED ON JUL 27, 2021 02:58 PM IST
- Tokyo Olympics Highlights Day 4: Boxer Lovlina Borgohain advanced to the quarterfinals of the women's 69kg category. She was the lone star on another disappointing day for India, which saw shuttlers Satwik Rankireddy-Chirag Shetty, paddler Sharath Kamal, and two mixed shooting doubles teams crash out.
PTI | , New Delhi
UPDATED ON JUL 26, 2021 11:12 PM IST
Chanu, who returned to the country on Monday evening, lifted a total of 202kg (87kg 115kg) in the 49kg category to better Karnam Malleswari's bronze in the 2000 Sydney Olympics on Saturday.
Reuters | , Tokyo
PUBLISHED ON JUL 26, 2021 11:03 PM IST
What was expected to be a tight, tense battle between defending champions Japan, Russia and China was exactly that as the three powerhouses swapped places over the six rotations.
Reuters | , Tokyo
PUBLISHED ON JUL 26, 2021 10:49 PM IST
Xu and Liu led after the first two games but Mizutani and Ito fought back with an 11-8 win in the third game.
By Avishek Roy, Tokyo
UPDATED ON JUL 26, 2021 10:38 PM IST
Immediately after her bout with Manon, a German coach came up to her and told her that she was great even in defeat.
By hindustantimes.com, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON JUL 26, 2021 09:50 PM IST
After getting knocked out from the Tokyo Games, the Indian fencer took to Twitter and apologised for not making it to the next level.
By Nilankur Das, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON JUL 26, 2021 08:46 PM IST
Every step of the way in every match, the Koreans found something special to pull ahead. In the quarters, India shot a 54 (out of a possible 60) in the first set in reply to Korea's opening of 59.
By Rutvick Mehta, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON JUL 26, 2021 08:34 PM IST
On Tuesday in Tokyo, that player will be Sharath Kamal, the veteran Indian paddler who won his second-round singles match beating Portugal's Tiago Apolonia 4-2 (2-11, 11-8, 11-5, 9-11, 11-6, 11-9) on Monday.
PTI | By hindustantimes.com
UPDATED ON JUL 26, 2021 08:05 PM IST
After the 1-5 drubbing at the hands of world no.1 Netherlands, the Indians lifted their game by a notch but it was not enough to get past world no.3 Germany at the Oi Hockey Stadium.
By Heena Sidhu
UPDATED ON JUL 26, 2021 09:26 PM IST
It will be tough because we don’t know what the Chinese, Koreans and Russian will do but if they can perform to their potential, we should get a medal, or medals.
By Avishek Roy
PUBLISHED ON JUL 26, 2021 07:10 PM IST
- “I don’t know. I don’t want to talk about it,” Manika Batra said when asked about playing without a coach on the table. Tears rolled down. “I think I was nervous today. I was thinking about winning. I gave my best. Can we talk later?” She left in a huff.