By Bhargab Sarmah, Guwahati
PUBLISHED ON APR 23, 2021 07:41 AM IST
- A place in the knockouts seemed a bit far-fetched for FC Goa at the start but hopes have soared after their opening two draws. But Friday’s game will be anything but easy.
PTI | , New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 09:05 PM IST
- Indian boxers Gitika and Babyrojisana Chanu clinched gold medals in the World Youth Championships in Kielce, Poland.
AP | , Barcelona, Spain
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 08:41 PM IST
- Barcelona president Joan Laporta maintained his support for the Super League on Thursday despite the quick exit of 10 of the 12 founding clubs in the breakaway competition.
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 06:11 PM IST
Chelsea edged back into the top four with a draw against Brighton and Hove Albion on Tuesday, but only by virtue of goal difference over West Ham United who they face on Saturday.
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 05:59 PM IST
"Praying for the beautiful of India this morning. I know this pandemic is hitting so many places around the world. Please stay safe out there," Hamilton wrote on his instagram story.
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 03:38 PM IST
- The protesters carried banners with messages including “Glazers out,” in reference to the Glazer family that owns United, and “We decide when you play.”
Reuters | , Manchester
UPDATED ON APR 22, 2021 03:40 PM IST
Manchester City Chief Executive Ferran Soriano apologised to supporters for the "disappointment, frustration and anguish" caused by the club's involvement in the European Super League.
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 02:30 PM IST
Drawn with twice champions Argentina, 1992 winners Spain and Egypt, the 'Olyroos' face an uphill battle to reach the knockout rounds of the 16-team tournament, their first Games since Beijing in 2008.
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 01:03 PM IST
The Haryana-boxer, who is also the reigning Asian Games champion, prevailed 5-0 against local favourite Tamir Galanov to make the last-four stage.
By Bhargab Sarmah, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 01:00 PM IST
- The pandemic has hit the pockets of European clubs, and some of these 12 clubs are among the hardest hit in terms of revenue loss.
PTI | , Barcelona
UPDATED ON APR 22, 2021 11:51 AM IST
Fognini was defaulted while trailing 6-0, 4-4 against qualifier Bernabe Zapata Miralles of Spain, after a line judge told the chair umpire that the ninth-seeded Italian had used foul language.
By Avishek Roy, New Delhi
UPDATED ON APR 22, 2021 09:58 AM IST
- India are aiming to land extra Tokyo Olympics berths, in wrestling, athletics and rowing. Besides, there are international events like archery, shooting, badminton and hockey.
AP | , Birmingham, England
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 08:45 AM IST
- The leaders, who had John Stones sent off in the first half, jumped 11 points clear and need eight points from five games to reclaim the trophy from Liverpool after goals from the exceptional Phil Foden and Rodri turned the game at Villa Park.
PUBLISHED ON APR 22, 2021 08:36 AM IST
“The project is on stand-by,” Perez told Spanish radio program El Larguero. “We are going to keep working.”
By Bhargab Sarmah
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 08:10 PM IST
- The pace and ease with which the Iranians moved the ball in the opposition half underlined their superiority over the Goan side in the AFC Champions League tie.
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 04:18 PM IST
Schalke's 21st league defeat of the season on Tuesday ensured the 'Royal Blues' have no hope of escaping the drop in their final four games of the season.
Reuters | , Milan
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 04:10 PM IST
- Breakaway European Super League founder and Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli called time on the project on Wednesday after six English clubs withdrew and he blamed the involvement of politicians for the league's downfall.
AP | , Madrid
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 04:05 PM IST
- The moves came a day after the six Premier League clubs gave up on the controversial breakaway competition, leaving only four other clubs possibly still involved.
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 03:07 PM IST
"I want to apologise to all the supporters of Liverpool for the disruption I caused over the past 48 hours," Henry said in a video on the club's website.
UPDATED ON APR 21, 2021 06:27 PM IST
India will still travel to Europe in May to play the Pro League matches against Spain (May 15-16) and Germany (May 22-23) while Great Britain will host Germany (May 12-13), USA (Women, May 22-23) and Spain (Men, May 22-23).
By Avishek Roy
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 01:42 PM IST
- All 7 women win their semi-final bouts in a brilliant display of youth power in the sport at Kielce, Poland.
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 12:16 PM IST
"There is a blood pact among our clubs, we will press ahead," Agnelli told newspaper la Repubblica when asked whether the Super League was sinking after some clubs had decided to leave only 48 hours after the breakaway plan was launched.
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 09:58 AM IST
A leg of the torch relay on Wednesday was moved off the public streets in Matsuyama City in the Japanese prefecture of Ehime. It was to take place in a city park with “no spectators or stage performances," an organizing committee statement said.
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 09:50 AM IST
- Judge Manuel Ruiz de Lara ordered FIFA and UEFA to “refrain from taking any measure or action, or from issuing any statement, which prevents or hinders, directly or indirectly, the preparation of the European Super League.”
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 09:00 AM IST
"It is not a sport where the relation between effort and success does not exist. It is not a sport where success is already guaranteed or it doesn't matter where you lose. It's not fair when one team fight, fight, fight at the top and cannot be qualified because it is just for a few teams," said Pep Guardiola.
By Sharad Deep
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 08:07 AM IST
- The 18-year-old wrestling, who has qualified in the 62kg category, will train and also get treatment under personal coach Ajmer Malik
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 07:35 AM IST
- Thomas Tuchel’s side was stifled inside Stamford Bridge, barely creating a clear-cut chance against the relegation-threatened visitors who nearly snatched victory in the final 15 minutes as Danny Welbeck struck the post.
PUBLISHED ON APR 21, 2021 07:27 AM IST
- Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City and Tottenham throughout Tuesday evening deserted the proposal to launch a largely-closed midweek competition amid an escalating backlash from their supporters and warnings from the British government that legislation could be introduced to thwart it.
UPDATED ON APR 21, 2021 01:00 AM IST
His resignation came amid the criticism the club has faced for its involvement in the breakaway European Super League.