Alt News co-founder Mohammed Zubair in Bengaluru; Delhi police search his home

Updated on Jun 30, 2022 06:24 PM IST
A four-member Delhi police team combed through Zubair's Bengaluru home as part of the investigation into his 2018 tweet.
Alt News co-founder Mohammed Zubair in a police van. (ANI Image) (ANI)
Alt News co-founder Mohammed Zubair in a police van. (ANI Image) (ANI)
ByYamini C S | Edited by Chandrashekar Srinivasan

Mohammed Zubair, the co-founder of fact-checking website Alt News, on Thursday was brought to Bengaluru by a team from Delhi Police's Special Cell who searched his home in connection with the case registered against him, news agency PTI reported.

"Our four-member team, with Zubair who is in police custody, has reached his house in Bengaluru. Our team members are there to collect electronic evidence in relation to the case. This includes phone or laptop he must have used to post the tweet," a senior officer told PTI.

Earlier today the Delhi high court agreed to hear tomorrow a plea challenging his arrest and interrogation.

READ | Delhi HC to hear Zubair's plea challenging arrest, interrogation

Zubair was arrested Monday - weeks after he flagged ex-BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma's comments in the Prophet row - and in connection with an allegedly objectionable tweet he posted in 2018.

He was sent to the custody of Delhi Police for one day and that was extended Tuesday after the police claimed he was not co-operating and refused to surrender electronic devices from 2018 - ones allegedly used to post the tweet.

His lawyer, Kawalpreet Kaur, said police knew Zubair lost his phone. "The mobile phone he has is a new one and police are aware of the matter," she said.

He had been taken to Bengaluru today to search for the phone. The officer also said the phone Zubair uses now did not have information about the case.

Police, meanwhile, are also looking into Zubair's financial transactions - a move his colleague and Alt News co-founder Pratik Sinha has slammed.

Sinha said police were 'linking donations received by Alt News to Zubair' and offered Zubair's personal bank statements as proof.

Police also said the Twitter account that raised the original complaint does not exist now.

READ | Alt News' Mohd Zubair sent to four-day police custody over 2018 tweet

The FIR against the journalist - a copy of which has been seen by Hindustan Times - was registered on the basis of a sub-inspector's complaint; the document is not online because of its sensitive nature, officials have said.

The complainant said he was monitoring social media when he came across a post seeking action against Zubair for a tweet that said: 'BEFORE 2014: Honeymoon Hotel. After 2014: Hanuman Hotel' and had an image of the hotel's signboard.

Sinha has alleged Zubair was arrested without notice - which is mandatory under law for the sections under which he has been held. He also said that no police person taking Zubair away had any name tag.

On Tuesday he tweeted - in response to a tweet by a TV news channel showing screenshots of the remand copy - "… Zubair's lawyers haven't been provided the copy despite multiple requests to the concerned police personnel."

Mohammed Zubair's arrest has sparked waves of condemnation online, with journalists, activists and opposition leaders speaking out in support.

With inputs from PTI

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • According to Haryana home minister Anil Vij , three MLAs from Punjab and two MLAs of the Aam Aadmi Party in Delhi had also received such threatening calls. (HT File Photo)

    Punjab and Delhi MLAs also received extortion calls: Anil Vij

    Haryana home minister Anil Vij on Monday said the state police will dig out and solve every layer of the case pertaining to recent death threats and extortion calls that four Haryana legislators had received. According to the home minister, three MLAs from Punjab and two MLAs of the Aam Aadmi Party in Delhi had also received such threatening calls.

  • SAD MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal at Parliament House during ongoing Monsoon Session of Parliament, in New Delhi, Monday. (PTI)

    Electricity Amendment Bill: No discussions held with stakeholders, says Harsimrat in Parliament

    Bathinda MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal on Monday asked Union power minister RK Singh to place in Parliament the details of the meeting held with the state governments and farmer organisations on the Electricity Amendment Bill. Speaking in the Lok Sabha on Monday, she asserted that the agriculture ministry had given a written assurance to the farmers' organisations that these Bills will be placed in Parliament after consultation with them.

  • Former Haryana CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda also lodged a protest. He asked why speaker was reluctant to accept Congress’ demand. Din prevailed in the House as speaker stuck to his decision. Though he assured that sufficient time would be given to Congress to speak on the issue, the Congress MLAs walked out of the House. (HT File Photo)

    Congress MLAs walk out of Haryana House twice

    In a well-crafted move, at least 19 Congress MLAs had moved adjournment motions seeking a debate on law and order. The speaker, Gian Chand Gupta, however, said Congress' adjournment motions along with that of INLD MLA Abhay Singh Chautala had been converted into calling attention notice and clubbed with the admitted calling attention notice of Independent MLA Balraj Kundu. Endorsing Hooda's views, Congress Legislature Party leader Bhupinder Singh Hooda also lodged a protest.

  • Colonisers and property dealer’s association members to protest outside tehsil office in Ludhiana on Monday. (Harvinder Singh/HT)

    Punjab| Property dealers start indefinite protest, seek OTS for regularisation

    Criticising the Aam Aadmi Party government for restrictions imposed on issuance of no-objection certificates (NOCs) for plots and registration of FIRs against builders, the Punjab Colonisers and Property Dealers' Association commenced an indefinite agitation outside tehsil offices across the state from Monday. Association member Tanvir Singh Rania said the state government has imposed a multifold hike in collector rates which has jeopardised the business. Residents were on the receiving end of the strike.

  • The high court has sought response by October 14 and also stated that if any security has already been provided by the Punjab government, the same may not be withdrawn till the next date of hearing. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

    High court asks Punjab to look into threat perception to a law officer

    The Punjab and Haryana high court (HC) has directed the Punjab government to look into the threat perception to a state's law officer and if situation so warranted, provide him the security. The court acted on the plea of Harsimran Sandhu, an assistant advocate general with Punjab's AG office, who had demanded that adequate security be provided to him as he was receiving threats from different gangsters.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, August 09, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now