March of metallics: Holographic shine and glittery sequins eclipse New York Fashion Week 2020
Disco sparkle and shine-on fabrics refuse to fade out even for the coming seasons. One look at the Spring Summer 2020 collections and it’s hard to overlook heavy-duty sparkle. Bella Hadid was a vision in a glittery sequinned Ralph Lauren ensemble, Christian Siriano peppered his line-up with effusively ruffled metallic ensembles and Tommy Hilfiger presented a pair of silver pants paired with a glittery halter top.
Designer Tom Ford - always the bellwether of New York Fashion Week redefined luxe with his inimitable glossy take on the decadent evening glamour.
Stylist Edward Lalrempuia observes that today designers are trying to interpret myriad personality types and there isn’t a specific genre of women they want to address. “Today each woman wants to dress differently and the overall thought process is towards embracing one’s individuality. Having said that, foil is not a summer-friendly fabric and hence a no for summer as it’s not breathable. However, it’s a matter of personal choice if one wants to step out in a pair of shine-on pants for an evening outing, provided there’s ample air conditioning,” says Edward.
It’s hard to miss the ‘90s grunge effect permeating the style landscape. Stylist Akshay Tyagi sees the foil fabric as a strong nod to the future dressing. “I see a major pop of jewel tones and a celebration of retro glamour though interpreted with an of the moment flourish,” says Akshay.
Also, the Spring Summer 20 lines saw an interesting mix of street and chic in terms of runway styling, for example Tibi teamed a skinny jumper with a pair of silver pants. While this off-kilter styling may look cool on the runway, it may not be everyone’s cup of cappuccino. Stylist Raghav Tibrewal cautions, “As much as I like metallics personally but I’d suggest either go street or chic as only a few people could blend both together.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Priyanka Chopra recently took to Twitter and showed fans her new silver-framed spectacles. However, it was her stunning green well-fitted shirt that garnered all the attention.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, who are expecting their second child together, made a surprise appearance at a recent virtual event. It was her gorgeous citrus print summer dress that stole the show.
- Bipasha Basu floods the Internet with sultry pictures straight from the Maldives beach in a black bikini layered with a barely buttoned-down cinnamon blue and ivory striped silk shirt dress which is a closet must-have for a summer or fall day | Check pictures and fashion cues inside
- Hello sunshine: Gauahar Khan adds all the missing beauty to our day with her ravishing pictures in a mesmerising mustard lehenga set with gota korpatti embroidery and we guess we have already found our fashion hero to take style cues from, for the next ethnic event this Spring
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra flaunts her summer body at the Maldives in a sultry leopard-print bikini and the Internet can’t keep calm, recreates her own filmy ‘shut up and bounce’ moment | Watch