30 madrassa kids in Bhiwandi fall sick after eating meal at religious events
The incident took place after the students had a meal comprising mutton biryani at Mehboob compound in Roshan Bagh, during a religious programme called ‘Gyarvi ki Niyaz’.mumbai Updated: Jan 18, 2018 23:52 IST
At least 30 students of the Daru-Al-Ullum madrassa on Dargah road in Bhiwandi suffered from vomiting, stomach illness, nausea and giddiness after eating a meal at a religious function on Tuesday afternoon.
Of these, about 26 students, whose health deteriorated, were taken to the government run-IGM hospital in Bhiwandi by Wednesday evening. Five of the students who were severe were shifted to Nair Hospital in Mumbai. “Complaining of stomach ache and vomiting, 26 children, aged between 12 and 15, along with their guardians, reached the hospital on Wednesday evening. We asked five of them to be shifted to another hospital in Mumbai as their condition was severe,” said Anil Thorat, superintendent of IGM hospital, Bhiwandi. He added, “Stale products must have been used in preparing the meal, which might have led to botulism poisoning (linked to improper canned food).”
The incident took place after the students had a meal comprising mutton biryani at Mehboob compound in Roshan Bagh, during a religious programme called ‘Gyarvi ki Niyaz’. The meal was arranged by Ataulla Shaikh for the public.
Sources said, apart from the students, several residents also had the meal. However, there is no such case of illness reported among the others.
The incident has raised questions on whether the students were served a poisonous meal deliberately by the organiser. “Investigations are on. We have not registered any case yet. The students who were shifted to Mumbai for treatment are out of danger,” said Vijay Bhise, senior police inspector, Bhoiwada police station.
First Published: Jan 18, 2018 23:52 IST