Teen dies of leptospirosis, is fourth victim in Mumbai this monsoon | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 15, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Teen dies of leptospirosis, is fourth victim in Mumbai this monsoon

Doctors said the 17-year-old Worli resident, like the two earlier victims, had delayed treatment.

mumbai Updated: Jul 17, 2018 11:39 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Mumbai,Mumbai health,monsoon ailments
The patient had a history of wading through waterlogged areas, and had gone to Worli sea face during incessant rain on July 1 and 2.(HT File Photo/Used for representational purpose)

A 17-year-old from Worli has become the fourth person in Mumbai to die of leptospirosis this monsoon. Doctors said the teenager, like the two earlier victims who died in June, had delayed treatment. He died within 24 hours of admission to KEM Hospital, Parel, on July 13.

Dr Padmaja Keskar, executive health officer, said that the patient had a history of wading through waterlogged areas, and had gone to Worli sea face and other areas of Mumbai during incessant rain on July 1 and 2. South Mumbai had recorded more than 32mm of rainfall during that period.

“Within three days he had a fever for which he went to a private medical practitioner and also attended a nearby civic dispensary. Citing blood in his vomit as an indicator of serious ailment, the doctors referred him to a tertiary care medical facility but he ignored the advice,” said Dr Keskar.

The patient went to a hospital only after a week of fever on July 12 when he had breathing difficulties. He was immediately put on a ventilator but was pronounced dead within 24 hours of admission.

Leptospirosis is spread by bacteria found in the urine or excreta of the infected animals such as rats, cattle and dogs cause leptospirosis.

The infection spreads mainly during monsoon when humans with cuts or abrasions on their skin are exposed to flood water mixed with sewage.

Dr Keskar added that the death review committee of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) after analysing medical aspects of the three probable leptospirosis deaths in June, linked two to the bacterial infection. The recent case is yet to be analysed by the committee.

After the death of the boy, a total of 574 houses and 1,926 people were screened and two cases of fever, two cases of upper respiratory tract infection and three cases of diarrhoea and vomiting were detected and referred to nearby dispensaries.

First Published: Jul 17, 2018 11:38 IST