Mayweather vs Pacquiao: All you need to know about the 'fight of the century'
Saturday's heavily anticipated welterweight showdown between undefeated American Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Filipino southpaw Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas is the richest prize fight of all time.other Updated: May 01, 2015 19:13 IST
Saturday's heavily anticipated welterweight showdown between undefeated American Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Filipino southpaw Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas is the richest prize fight of all time.
- A fight that was more than five years in the making, the clash between Mayweather and Pacquiao is projected to generate a record $300 million or more in pay-per-view revenue, according to Forbes, with at least three million customers paying to watch the action.
- Mayweather's defeat of Oscar De La Hoya in 2007 has the buy record of 2.48 million households, while his 2013 showdown with Canelo Alvarez has the revenue record of $152 million.
- Mayweather is likely to earn at least $180 million from the bout while Pacquiao, a 2-1 underdog, is expected to come away with more than $120 million.
- The MGM Grand in Las Vegas is expected to pack in close to 16,500 fans for the fight for a live-gate of $74 million.
- Las Vegas resident Mayweather, who has a perfect 47-0 record as professional, will be fighting his 11th consecutive bout at the MGM Grand.- Kenny Bayless has been appointed as referee for the fight by the Nevada State Athletic Commission while Burt Clements, Dave Moretti and Glenn Feldman were chosen as the three judges.
The 'big fight' in numbers
12 - scheduled rounds
147 - welterweight weight limit
3 - number of titles at stake (WBA, WBC, WBO)
$180 million - Mayweather's expected payday
$120 million - Pacquiao's expected payday
3-4 million - expected pay-per-view buys
2.48 million - previous pay-per-view record (set by Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya in 2007)
27.9 million - total pay-per-view buys generated in past fights involving Pacquiao and Mayweather.
$10,000 - price of a seat on the floor at the MGM Grand arena
$1,500 - price of the worst seat in the house
47 - number of wins in Mayweather's career
0 - number of losses in Mayweather's career
5 - number of losses in Pacquiao's career
$1,600 - cost of the cheapest room at the MGM Grand on fight night.
$120 - cost of cheapest room at the MGM Grand on a typical night
$1 million - reputed cost of special WBC title belt made for the fight.
900 - number of tickets Pacquiao bought for his friends and family for the fight.
$3,500 - online ticket broker price for worst seat in the house
$130 - online price for the weigh-in
First Published: May 01, 2015 14:47 IST