Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 16, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Rs 1.5-crore jewellery looted: Chandigarh bizman’s driver ends life, alleges police harassment  

Sector-33 loot: 50-yr-old’s body, suicide note recovered from railway tracks in Zirakpur; UT police deny allegation, say he was questioned twice during probe

punjab Updated: Jan 21, 2018 12:26 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
Rs 1.5-crore jewellery looted,Chandigarh bizman,bizman’s driver
The torn and blood-stained suicide note recovered along with the body of Avinash Yadav from the tracks near Gazipur in Zirakpur on Friday.(HT Photo)

Ten days after armed robbers fled with Rs 1.5-crore jewellery from a businessman’s house in Sector 33, his driver allegedly committed suicide by jumping in front of a train in Zirakpur on Friday.

Ajit Jain has been charged with abetment to suicide after son of the deceased, Pankaj, gave a statement to the police.

In the suicide note recovered from the spot, he has claimed his innocence and accused the police of harassment.

Avinash Yadav, 50, a resident of Wadhwa Nagar in Zirakpur, had started working for Ajit Jain about three weeks before the robbery.

His body was found on the railway tracks near Gazipur in Zirakpur around 10am. The suicide note, which was torn and had blood stains, has been written in Hindi.

The robbers had held Jain’s wife Ritu, daughter Khushboo, and servant Dev Raj hostage at gunpoint before fleeing with the loot.

Main bekasoor hoon. Lekin police ki mar or logo ki zilatbhari nigahon ka saamna karne ki himmat nahi hai (I am innocent. But I don’t have the courage to face police beating and people’s accusing expressions),” mentions the note.

Addressing his children, Yadav also asked for their forgiveness and requested (the police) that his family be left alone: “Pyare bacho is baap ko maaf karna. Mere baad mere parivar ko pareshan na kiya jaye.”

“We got a call at 10:30am about the body,” said , assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Rampal, railway police post in-charge, Lalru. “We are probing the case. Postmortem will be conducted on Saturday.”

Had gone to market when robbers struck

Yadav had gone to the market along with watchman Bhagwan Dass when four masked armed men struck at Jain’s house on the evening of January 9. Even Jain was out for some work at that time.

The robbers had held Jain’s wife Ritu, daughter Khushboo, and servant Dev Raj hostage at gunpoint before fleeing with the loot.

While Jain owns cold stores in Lalru, his wife runs an online jewellery boutique. Police had been questioning Yadav and Jain’s other employees after the crime.

“Police had been harassing my father,” alleged Pankaj Yadav, the deceased’s son. “Police team from the Sector-34 station used to summon him again and again. They had even extracted his mobile call details and kept questioning him where he was at the time of the incident.”

Never complained, seemed normal: Jain

“Police had been questioning Yadav and other employees, but he never told me about any harassment,” said Jain. Jain said Yadav had come for work on Thursday and seemed “normal”. “I could have never guessed that he would taken such an extreme step,” he said.

Denying that Yadav was being harassed, UT senior superintendent of police (SSP) Nilambari Vijay Jagdale said: “We are investigating the robbery and questioned Yadav and other employees. There was no question of harassment”. “Yadav was not a suspect,” said deputy superintendent of police Deepak Yadav. “He was questioned twice on basis of his call details.”

First Published: Jan 20, 2018 09:13 IST