Neha Dhupia on facing sexism in South film industry: ‘They insisted on feeding hero first and I would say I am hungry’
Actor Neha Dhupia has opened up about the sexism she would face in the South film industry. She said the filmmakers would give preferential treatment to the lead actor or the ‘hero’ of the film on the sets, even when it came to lunch.
Talking to Pinkvilla, she said, “I think long time back when I was doing a South film, they always insisted on feeding the hero first and I would just be like ‘I am hungry’ and they would be like, ‘But he is in a shot and he will pick up the plate first’. Bizarre things like that would happen.”
“But that was many years ago. It was very archaic and things like that don’t happen anymore. It happened once on a set with me and I just laughed it off. It really did not bother me because I was just like ‘OK fine. I’ll just sit around’,” she said.
Neha was last seen on the big screen in Helicopter Eela in 2018. She has also worked in Netflix’s Lust Stories and in Tumhari Sulu. She recently celebrated the first birthday of her daughter Mehr.
The actor took to Twitter to share a couple of photos of Mehr from behind, while she and her husband Angad Bedi kissed her. Captioning the photos, Neha wrote: “Happy 1st Birthday our little angel .... my heart is so full of love... I don’t know what I am capable of giving you but you gave me the best gift of my life, the gift of motherhood. May god bless you ... Guru ‘Mehr’ Karein”.
Neha and Angad tied the knot in May last year and welcomed their daughter Mehr in November. While Neha has been sharing photos of her daughter without revealing her face, her fans cannot wait to catch the first glimpse of Mehr. They showered her with wishes and blessings on her first birthday.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
- "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
- Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
- Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.
- New behind-the-scenes photos from the sets of an advertisment capture Ranbir Kapoor's transformation into an old man.
- Actor Rhea Chakraborty's lawyer Satish Maneshinde has called the 12000-page charge sheet filed by the Narcotics Control Bureau in the Sushant Singh Rajput's death case a 'damp squib'.
- Gauahar Khan has shared a video of her father, recalling the 'most favourite memory' of her life. The actor's father died on Friday.
- Actor and politician Nafisa Ali has shared some glorious pictures from her youth. Needless to say, she looks beautiful in them. Check them out here.