Rhea Chakraborty’s 2009 tweet on girl being jailed for drug trafficking goes viral after NCB arrests her
An old tweet of Rhea Chakraborty about a girl being jailed for drug trafficking is going viral after her arrest by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB). The tweet, which is from 2009, mentions listening to a story of an Indian girl who served a jail sentence of four-and-a-half-years for drug trafficking.
Rhea’s tweet reads, “just stepped out of a weird scary engrossing story of an indian girl ....who served 4 n a half year jail sentence for narcotic trafikking,,”
On Tuesday afternoon, Rhea was arrested by the NCB in the drug angle linked to the death of Sushant Singh Rajput. The arrest, made under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, came three days after her younger brother Showik Chakraborty’s arrest by the NCB. Her bail was rejected on Tuesday and she was brought to the Byculla jail on Wednesday morning.
“Rhea is an active member of a drug syndicate and used to manage finance for drug procurement along with the late actor,” the NCB had said in its remand application. The agency said it had not found any contraband from Rhea and her brother Showik’s residence in Juhu but there was enough evidence to produce before the court.
Rhea’s lawyer Satish Maneshinde called her arrest a ‘travesty of justice’. “Travesty of justice. Three central agencies hounding a single woman just because she was in love with a drug addict who was suffering from mental health issues for several years and died by suicide due to consumption of illegally administered medicines, drugs,” the senior advocate told ANI.
Meanwhile, several Bollywood celebrities rallied behind Rhea and sought ‘justice’ for her. Kareena Kapoor Khan, Sonam Kapoor, Vidya Balan, Farhan Akhtar, Neha Dhupia, Raveena Tandon, Anurag Kashyap and others shared the caption that was on Rhea’s T-shirt as she reached the NCB office on Tuesday. “Roses are red, violets are blue, Let’s smash patriarchy, me and you,” the slogan on her T-shirt read.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anushka Sharma shared a post on mothers on the occasion of International Women's Day. She said that 'strong' and 'resilient ones' need to be celebrated.
- Kishwer Merchant dropped a comment on a video of Kangana Ranaut at the airport, asking, "How is this woman never in a mask?'
- Esha Deol revealed that while her mother Hema Malini did not cry at her 'bidaai', she could not hold back her emotions afterwards.
- Lisa Haydon, who is currently expecting her third child with husband Dino Lalvani, shared a special post featuring her 'very little woman' on International Women's Day.
- Aamir Khan and Elli AvrRam burn up the dance floor in the first teaser for their song, Har Funn Maula. Watch it here.
- Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui's brother Shamas has reacted to news of that Nawaz and his wife, Aaliya, are willing to reconcile. Aaliya had accused Shamas of physical abuse.
- Kriti Sanon slipped and almost fell before a posing session for the paparazzi on Monday. Watch the video here.
- Janhvi Kapoor was spotted at the Mumbai airport over the weekend. During her exit from the airport, her staff member stopped a fan from taking a picture with the actor. Janhvi tackled the situation calmly.
- Boney Kapoor said that he was fortunate to have 'some of the strongest women in the world' in his life -- late wife Sridevi, and daughters Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor.
- Despite cancelling divorce proceedings, Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife, Aaliya, has said that they aren't yet living with each other.
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra shared a funny and cute video of the two of them to celebrate his wife and an 'amazing role model'.