Leopard that had killed two girls in Pauri shot dead | dehradun | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Leopard that had killed two girls in Pauri shot dead

dehradun Updated: Mar 07, 2016 14:38 IST
Arvind Moudgil

The Pauri leopard was the second man-eater to be shot in a month, after another cat was killed in Almora. More than 140 leopards have been declared man-eaters in Uttarakhand.(Photo for representation)

A leopard suspected to be a man-eater was shot dead by hunters on Saturday night, two days after it allegedly killed two girls in Uttarakhand’s Pauri district, a forest official said.

“The leopard was killed in the same area where Arushi was killed. It is a full-grown female of about seven-year-old with its claws and canines intact,” Lansdowne forest division sub-divisional officer told HT on Sunday.

This is the second leopard killing in less than a month. In February, a suspected man-eater was shot dead by hunters in Almora district, about 350km from Dehradun. Forest department statistics states that more than 140 leopards have been declared man-eaters in the state.

In the Pauri case, the leopard was suspected to be active in Jaiharikhal area of Pauri district for the last one week. Two minor girls were killed in Odal Talla village and Jaletha while a woman escaped unhurt in Sari village.

Prashant, who goes by one name, was deployed to kill the leopard along with Joy Hukil, a Pauri-based hunter.

They, along with a team of forest department, had caged a leopard in Odal village, which was sent to a rescue centre at Haridwar.

Leopard shot dead in Shivalak Nagar A leopard was shot dead in the Shivalik Nagar of Kotdwar after it resisted attempts of capture and attacked forest officials.

At 8.30 am, the people of Shivalik Nagar panicked after spotting the leopard. The big cat scampered into nearby fields when a crowd started shouting. Lansdowne forest officer Nitish Mani Tripathi said Prashant and Joy Hukil were called in to avoid any untoward incident.

According to sources, the forest team spotted the leopard and tried to tranquilise it with a dart. Assuming that the dart had hit the beast, a forest team advanced with a net, but the leopard jumped at the team, injuring one.

The leopard rushed towards a house where a few children were standing. Tripathi then ordered Hukil to gun it down.

“The DFO (Tripathi) had to take a call as the animal became ferocious and attacked the staff. It was done for the safety of people,” Digvijay Singh Khati, principal chief conservator of forest and chief wildlife warden, said.