No admission for students from other states: State to HC | mumbai news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

No admission for students from other states: State to HC

mumbai Updated: Sep 15, 2016 00:29 IST
Kanchan Chaudhari
Kanchan Chaudhari
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Since 1955, domicile has been the basis of admissions and the state is entitled to reserve 85 % seats in private unaided medical and dental colleges for Maharashtra students. (Picture for representation)

State government on Wednesday informed the Bombay high court that it cannot allow students from outside Maharashtra to be admitted to private unaided medical and dental colleges in the state, in view of absence of reciprocal opportunity to Maharashtrian students seeking admission to medical colleges in other states.

Last year most of the states have enacted legislations as has been done by Maharashtra government, making the condition of passing SSC and HSC examinations from the respective states and producing domicile certificates for seeking admission to medical and dental colleges in those states, acting advocate general Rohit Deo informed the bench of Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice MS Sonak. 

“Our students are not allowed to take admission under All India Quota in other states,” Deo said, adding, “They cannot go to at least 10/11 other states.” He was trying to justify the rules framed by Maharashtra government allowing only those students who have cleared both SSC and HSC examinations from the state or producing domicile certificate for seeking admission to private unaided medical and dental colleges. 

Besides, Deo said even the National Entrance-cum-Eligibility Test (NEET) Regulations state that the admissions shall be subject to policy of the respective states and union territories in which institutions are located. He pointed out that in states like Delhi, Gujrat almost all the seats are reserved in this fashion for local students and no “outsiders” are allowed be admitted in medical or dental colleges in those states. 

Deo was responding to a bunch of petitions challenging validity of certain provisions of and rules framed under provisions of the Maharashtra Unaided Professional Educational Institutions (Regulation of Admissions and Fees) Act, 2015. One of the petitions filed by Mahatma Gandhi Vidya Mandir Trust, which runs a dental college at Nashik, specifically challenged the rule making domicile certificate mandatory for seeking admission to these colleges. 

Responding to the petitions, Deo said that since 1955, domicile has been the basis of admissions and the state is entitled to reserve 85 % seats in private unaided medical and dental colleges for Maharashtra students. Remaining 15 % seats are left as institutional quota and are to be filled in by the respective colleges at their level, and under this quota, the institutions can grant admission to any students – students from outside Maharashtra, non-resident Indians, Deo clarified. 

The court has now posted the matter for further hearing on Friday when the decision is likely to be taken.