Rod Marsh resigns as Cricket Australia chief selector after Hobart debacle | cricket | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 28, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Rod Marsh resigns as Cricket Australia chief selector after Hobart debacle

Rod Marsh became the first big casualty after Australia lost the Test series to South Africa. Australia lost by an innings in the Hobart Test that ended on Tuesday

cricket Updated: Nov 16, 2016 14:02 IST
HT Correspondent
Rod Marsh has resigned as chairman of selectors after Australia suffered a series loss at home to South Africa for the third straight time.
Rod Marsh has resigned as chairman of selectors after Australia suffered a series loss at home to South Africa for the third straight time.(Getty Images)

Rod Marsh has been caught and bowled. The former wicket-keeper, whose combination with Dennis Lillee was legendary, has resigned as chief selector of Cricket Australia after Steve Smith’s team lost the Hobart Test by an innings and 80 runs to hand South Africa an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the Test series.

It was South Africa’s third straight Test series win in Australia after their 2008 and 2012 successes.

The 69-year-old Rod Marsh had met his fellow selectors during the course of the Hobart Test and once the humiliation was complete, he decided to resign. Rod Marsh’s contract was to expire in June next year.

Read More | Australia need major shake-up after series loss to South Africa

“This is my own decision and no one within Cricket Australia has pressured me or even suggested that I should do this,” Marsh said. “Clearly, though, it is time for some fresh thinking, just as it is for our Test team to welcome some new faces as we build for the future.

“I have always had the best interests of Australian cricket foremost in my heart, and that’s why I have made this decision.

Read | It is humiliating to lose five Tests in a row, says Steven Smith

“I have thoroughly enjoyed the role and want to thank the coach, the staff, my co-selectors and all the players for their support and honesty over the past two and a half years. It was a thrill for me to be involved in many successes, including the World Cup win in 2015.

“I wish the captain, coach and the team all the best going forward. We will be great again,” said Marsh.

Rod Marsh’s high points as selector

Rod Marsh was appointed chairman of selectors for Cricket Australia on in May 2014, replacing John Inverarity. He was previously Cricket Australia’s manager of elite coaching development.

Cricket Australia’s Chairman, David Peever, thanked Rod Marsh for his tenure and involvement in Australian cricket.

“Rod has played a pivotal role during a time of change in Australian cricket, which has seen the team hold the top positions in both Test and One-Day rankings as well as secure an ICC Cricket World Cup victory.

“We understand this decision has not come easily for Rod and on behalf of Australian cricket we thank him for his leadership and the integrity and insight he brought to the role throughout his tenure as the National Selector and the lifelong commitment he has given to our sport. Above all else, Rod is an outstanding person.”

Rod Marsh remains one of the most respected wicket-keepers to have ever played international cricket. His Test career spanned 14 years from 1970-1984. During this time he collected a then-record of 355 dismissals.