London attack: Donald Trump says cut off internet to terrorists | world-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 20, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

London attack: Donald Trump says cut off internet to terrorists

world Updated: Sep 15, 2017 19:19 IST
HT Correspondent
US President Donald Trump said the internet is the main recruitment tool of the terrorists.

US President Donald Trump said the internet is the main recruitment tool of the terrorists.(Reuters)

US President Donald Trump said on Friday authorities should ensure terrorist organisations were devoid of internet access as he said “sick and demented people” had carried out a blast on a packed rush-hour commuter train in London.

Passengers on board the train fled as fire engulfed a carriage at Parsons Green underground station in West London, with some suffering burns and other injuries in a stampede to escape.

Shortly after police declared the incident as an act of terrorism, Trump tweeted: “Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!”

“Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better!” he added.

Trump also spoke about a travel ban he advocated in the United States. “The travel ban into the United States should be far larger, tougher and more specific-but stupidly, that would not be politically correct!” he said.

“We have made more progress in the last nine months against ISIS than the Obama Administration has made in 8 years.Must be proactive & nasty!” Trump tweeted.

He was previously criticised for speaking about the travel ban after a terrorist attack in London in June. As the attack unfolded, Trump on Twitter advocated for his court-blocked “travel ban,” calling it “an extra level of safety.”

The US Supreme Court recently handed a victory to Trump by allowing his temporary bans on travellers from six Muslim-majority countries and all refugees to go into effect for people with no connection to the United States while agreeing to hear his appeals in the closely watched legal fight.

The court, which narrowed the scope of lower court rulings that had completely blocked his March 6 executive order, said it would hear arguments on the legality of one of Trump’s signature policies in his first months as president in the court’s next term, which starts in October.

With inputs from Reuters