Note ban is economic robbery: Rahul Gandhi attacks PM Modi | india-news | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 19, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Note ban is economic robbery: Rahul Gandhi attacks PM Modi

Demonetisation is an economic robbery, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi said on Friday, hitting out at the central government for its decision to recall 500- and 1000-rupee banknotes last month.

india Updated: Dec 24, 2016 01:21 IST
HT Correspondent
Congress VP Rahul Gandhi addresses a rally in Uttarakhand on Friday.
Congress VP Rahul Gandhi addresses a rally in Uttarakhand on Friday. (Photo: Twitter)

Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi launched a scathing attack on PM Narendra Modi at a rally in Almora on Friday, saying Modi’s policy was to siphon off money from the poor and help the rich.

“Gareebon se kheencho aur ameeron ko seencho (take from the poor and give to the rich) is now the buzzword in the present government,” Gandhi said.

“The Modi government waived off loans worth `1.4 lakh crore of 50 super rich families of India. Now, they have loans of `8.5 lakh crore that are to be waived off again, but the banks do not have money for this purpose. The Modi government thought of an ingenious scheme under which they imposed demonetisation and pulled your money to banks. Now, this money will be used to waive off the `8 lakh crore. Just wait and watch and you will see the loans being waived off in a few months,” he said.

He added, “Don’t you know why the `2,000 notes were made that size? Because ATMs won’t dispense them and banks won’t give change. This way they want to keep money in banks for a longer duration so as to use it for the super rich.”

Quoting poet Bashir Badr, Gandhi said the two lines — “Log toot jaate hain ek ghar banane mein, tum taras nahin khaate bastiyaan jalane mein— summed up Modi’s decision.”

Explaining what he called the real reason behind the note ban, Gandhi said, “Only 6% of the black money is in cash and the rest 94% is in real estate, gold and Swiss Bank accounts. The Swiss Banks said they have given names of the black money holders but they are not being made public as these are the 50 super rich families that made Modi PM by.”