The Mumbai civil and sessions court is likely to pronounce a verdict in the case registered against aspiring Bollywood actress Preeti Jain, who allegedly plotted to kill film-maker Madhur Bhandarkar after she told police that he had raped her.
- The spat between Preeti Jain and Madhur Bhandarkar began in 2004, when Jain filed a complaint with the Versova police station, alleging that the film-maker raped her 16 times between 1999 and 2004 on the pretext of marrying her.
- After Bhandarkar was granted anticipatory bail, Jain feared that she would lose the case. She thus plotted to have the film-maker killed, alleged the prosecution
- The Mumbai police initially suspected underworld don Arun Gawli’s involvement in the case. However, they let him off after failing to find evidence.
- Jain allegedly paid Gawli’s aide Naresh Pardeshi Rs75,000 to kill Bhandarkar
- Pardeshi’s friend Shivram Das had arranged for a man from Uttar Pradesh to carry out the murder. They were caught when the conspiracy unravelled.
Jain allegedly paid underworld gangster Arun Gawli’s aide Naresh Pardeshi Rs75,000 to kill Bhandarkar in September 2005. In July 2004, she had asked the Versova police station to register a case of rape against the Bollywood film-maker.
Jain’s alleged attempt to get Bhandarkar killed came to light when Gawli’s lawyer alerted the Agripada police. He said Jain had asked for a refund after the plot to kill Bhandarkar did not work.
The police investigated the claim for almost a week, before registering a case on September 10, 2005. Pardesi was arrested and Jain was picked up on the way to Versova police station that same day.
Police later arrested Pardeshi’s friend, Shivram Das, who allegedly helped him arrange for weapons and shooters.
A trial began in a fast-track court in Sewree. However, the court was later shut and the cases transferred to the sessions court.